Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 03:06 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Hello. My 15 year old son's LG V10 suddenly "died". What happened is it suddenly would go on to the starting splash screen and then either "hang" or shut off. After awhile it wouldn't go on at all. It let me charge the battery and then it would still go on and "hang" but now it doesn't go on at all.

T-Mobile claimed water damage which was strange as my son never got it wet. We had insurance and actually was able to get the phone replaced after some arguing but there was data he had on his phone that wasn't backed up to the Cloud. Is there any way to get to that data and get it off? Or if not a way to erase it from this phone?

I am thinking of selling it for parts but am not at the moment because of fear there's a risk when someone fixes it they can see all his settings and data (i.e. text messages, account numbers, etc.).

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
if you cant get it to boot, not much you can do. Leave it off completely for a day to let the battery drain, then charge it over night. If the charging icon comes on than the boot loader is fine. Then its time to do some technical steps. But lets get it were it can come on first before we move forward. Going to require a data cable, internet, pc and some patience and following directions.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
And no one will want it for parts.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Try this. Submerge the phone in plastic bag full of rice. let it sit a couple of days. If it is in fact water damage, this will dry it out. Then take your charging cable (USB) and plug it into your PC. If it shows up under 'Devices' or 'Computer' you should be able to read data off of it. It is worth a try if your data is very important. If it is something else other than water damage the rice will not help. Have you tried to open the phone and remove the battery?

Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 PM

169 posts, read 134,383 times
I think your son tried to root it. It's usually the case of why you brick it. I know though that in all new phones I get, once I signed up to my existing google account, all my pics from the old phones are all accessible. IT's called sync.
Although you said you don't want anyone to access that on the old phone. I don't think they can anyway if your son has a pin on his phone.
Google verify is good protection on that.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailene View Post
I think your son tried to root it. It's usually the case of why you brick it. I know though that in all new phones I get, once I signed up to my existing google account, all my pics from the old phones are all accessible. IT's called sync.
Although you said you don't want anyone to access that on the old phone. I don't think they can anyway if your son has a pin on his phone.
Google verify is good protection on that.
After i read the OP again, think your right.. It just doesnt come back on unless its been dropped, water, or bootloader got deleted during the root process.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,269 times
My LGV10 froze after I took a photo, wouldn't re-boot after I removed the battery, then I tried some suggestions, [plugging phone without battery and then holding reboot button amongst other things] and I have been able to get either the LG Life's good screen to just stay on, or a green screen with different messages one saying 'Demigod Crash Handler: Unknown reset, and I got different 'reset reasons' each time I got the green screen, I even got the T-mobile screen and sound and my homescreen but I could never get the full pin in before it left, computer isn't reading the device when I plug it in... and I really, really wanted to get the text messages off my phone, somehow when I booted up my old phone with sim card it overwrote all SMS in my google account.....any software that anyone knows of that might repair/retrieve last frozen photo and/or text messages... feeling mad despair about this!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Always store your music, pics, and videos on the MicroSD card. This way in case something like this happen, I pull the card out and toss the phone.

I've had about a dozen or so LGs and never had the bootloop problem. Even though they've been rooted and flash a couple of times. I suspect people got the boot loop because they never did a proper cache partition wipe after every flash or update. It's good to boot into the bootloader every other month and wipe the cache partition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones