Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 05:59 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times

Advertisements

Q:
Where to find the best deal in android phone for Black Friday?
I bought my last phone, Samsung Sky G7 ( I think), on Black Friday at Walmart about 5 yrs ago and have used straight talk service since.
I've been overall pleased with it but now the charging port seems to have worn so it's time to replace it.

I'm seeking advice on where to get the best deals (I admit it I'm a 'thriftster') on an android before I just show up again at Walmart on early Friday morning.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 09:49 AM

My current android is Samsong that I got from Walmart for less than $50 if memory serves me right.

I use straight talk verizon plan for $30 per month.

Are there better deals out there?

Old 11-24-2022, 05:47 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
My current android is Samsong that I got from Walmart for less than $50 if memory serves me right.

I use straight talk verizon plan for $30 per month.

Are there better deals out there?

Does your Straight Talk plan give you unlimited talk, text, and data?

Does the $30/month include all fees and taxes?

Old 11-24-2022, 10:16 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
From what you described, Pixel 6 Pro.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I used to own the Samsung Galaxy S7 but never heard of a Samsung Sky 7. I agree that it does not sound like a Samsung phone, at least not at that price 5 years ago.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:32 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Maybe a J7 Sky Pro?

https://rustyni.com/samsung-galaxy-j...mmon-problems/

Old 11-25-2022, 06:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
An issue with the newer phones, if applicable, is that most won't have a headphone jack. In the box, some won't have chargers. The Samsung A13 and the motorola one 5g ace are not bad choices. Samsung does offer longer support than motorola. The best bang for your buck is to buy last year's flagship.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:04 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Q:
Where to find the best deal in android phone for Black Friday?
I bought my last phone, Samsung Sky G7 ( I think), on Black Friday at Walmart about 5 yrs ago and have used straight talk service since.
I've been overall pleased with it but now the charging port seems to have worn so it's time to replace it.

I'm seeking advice on where to get the best deals (I admit it I'm a 'thriftster') on an android before I just show up again at Walmart on early Friday morning.
Thanks.
Samsung A03 (Straight Talk) at Walmart, marked down to $34.88 for Black Friday.

I have 7 phones that I have either active lines on or Apple Music library content downloaded, or both. Six Androids, and one iPhone.

Three of my six Androids are Samsungs……two of the above (A03), and an A02 (A02s).

The two A03 Samsungs I use for two identical copies of all of the Videos (over 4,000) from my main Apple Music subscription (which is full at 100,000 items) housed on 1TB microSD cards I put in each A03, and the A02 I use for one of two copies of all of of the items, songs and videos (about 40,000) that are in my second Apple Music subscription/Library.

I also have an LG Stylo 5 (Straight Talk….another Tracfone brand).

Earlier this year, once I was aware of the resolution of the lawsuit by consumers against Tracfone) I decided to activate both the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 as active lines for 60 days (the lawsuit settlement = any phone within the different Tracfone brands that is activated after 11/21 (or might have been 11/23) 2021 can be unlocked to use on other carriers after 60 days of service, rather than 1 year of service).

Tracfone’ s cheapest monthly service = $15.00 per month for unlimited talk/unlimited text/no data.

I went to a Walmart, with the LG Stylo 5 in one hand and the Samsung A02 in the other.

I then bought two $15.00 monthly cards at Walmart (one for each phone) and called Tracfone on one of my other lines right there in the Walmart. The rep on the phone walked me through this and facilitated what was needed on her end re activating a Straight Talk phone (sister brand to Tracfone…same ‘umbrella’, same ‘family’) on Tracfone service. After the call, I was all set up with two new lines. 60 days later (after one more monthly renewal…$15 on each phone, automatically) I got the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 unlocked and canceled the service/numbers.

Now I can use the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 on other carriers.

I may end up doing the same thing (activating them for 60 days to get them unlocked) on both A03 Samsungs.

I paid $49.88 for each the A03 Samsungs I have.

Then the price went up to $59.88.

Now, for Black Friday, it is marked down from $59.88 to $34.88.

You could pay $34.88 + tax for the phone, today, and then buy a $15 tracfone 30 day card today (also at Walmart) for $15 plus tax, and call and activate the phone with the info that is on that $15.00 Tracfone card (and tell them you are activating a Straight Talk phone with Tracfone service/a Tracfone card. if they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor. they were very happy to seamlessly do it for me without having to ask for a supervisor), then be billed later for one more month ($15.00 + tax), and 60 days from activation, get it unlocked, and then be able to use the phone on a number of different carriers and plans.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...9?athbdg=L1800

Last edited by RMESMH; 11-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Added one sentence

Old 11-25-2022, 04:06 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Samsung A03 (Straight Talk) at Walmart, marked down to $34.88 for Black Friday.

I have 7 phones that I have either active lines on or Apple Music library content downloaded, or both. Six Androids, and one iPhone.

Three of my six Androids are Samsungs……two of the above (A03), and an A02 (A02s).

The two A03 Samsungs I use for two identical copies of all of the Videos (over 4,000) from my main Apple Music subscription (which is full at 100,000 items) housed on 1TB microSD cards I put in each A03, and the A02 I use for one of two copies of all of of the items, songs and videos (about 40,000) that are in my second Apple Music subscription/Library.

I also have an LG Stylo 5 (Straight Talk….another Tracfone brand).

Earlier this year, once I was aware of the resolution of the lawsuit by consumers against Tracfone) I decided to activate both the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 as active lines for 60 days (the lawsuit settlement = any phone within the different Tracfone brands that is activated after 11/21 (or might have been 11/23) 2021 can be unlocked to use on other carriers after 60 days of service, rather than 1 year of service).

Tracfone’ s cheapest monthly service = $15.00 per month for unlimited talk/unlimited text/no data.

I went to a Walmart, with the LG Stylo 5 in one hand and the Samsung A02 in the other.

I then bought two $15.00 monthly cards at Walmart (one for each phone) and called Tracfone on one of my other lines right there in the Walmart. The rep on the phone walked me through this and facilitated what was needed on her end re activating a Straight Talk phone (sister brand to Tracfone…same ‘umbrella’, same ‘family’) on Tracfone service. After the call, I was all set up with two new lines. 60 days later (after one more monthly renewal…$15 on each phone, automatically) I got the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 unlocked and canceled the service/numbers.

Now I can use the LG Stylo 5 and the Samsung A02 on other carriers.

I may end up doing the same thing (activating them for 60 days to get them unlocked) on both A03 Samsungs.

I paid $49.88 for each the A03 Samsungs I have.

Then the price went up to $59.88.

Now, for Black Friday, it is marked down from $59.88 to $34.88.

You could pay $34.88 + tax for the phone, today, and then buy a $15 tracfone 30 day card today (also at Walmart) for $15 plus tax, and call and activate the phone with the info that is on that $15.00 Tracfone card (and tell them you are activating a Straight Talk phone with Tracfone service/a Tracfone card. if they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor. they were very happy to seamlessly do it for me without having to ask for a supervisor), then be billed later for one more month ($15.00 + tax), and 60 days from activation, get it unlocked, and then be able to use the phone on a number of different carriers and plans.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...9?athbdg=L1800
To make things even clearer if you (Outdoorman/the OP) decide to go to a store and do this, both Straight Talk and Tracfone have the Samsung A03 in their current sales lineups at Walmart.

The regular price for each is $59 and change, but it’s the Straight Talk one that is on a Black Friday sale for $34.88…….so don’t let them tell you ‘it’s $59, not $34.88”

I looked at my boxes, and both of my A03 Samsungs are Straight Talk branded/Straight Talk boxes (the one that’s on sale for $34.88) which I’m using for Apple Music and have yet to activate ‘as phones’/activate a phone line on,……….and my Samsung A02s (which I activated with a Tracfone phone line for 60 days, got Tracfone to unlock, and then stopped the line that day after the unlock) is Tracfone branded (a Tracfone box)………and my LG Stylo 5 is Straight Talk branded (a Straight Talk box) but Tracfone was happy to activate it for me with Tracfone (a Tracfone $15 card from Walmart) service rather than Straight Talk service, which I kept for 60 days, had Tracfone unlock, and then stopped service that day after the unlock.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is a Samsung Sky Pro J7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones