Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

So up until recently Android has served me well. Been using Nexus devices for a number of years, currently have a Nexus 5 with Lineage OS.

And then I moved.

I never thought a device would have such a huge problem in adapting to a new home address, this is apparently a widespread problem. It absolutely refuses to adjust itself to the change. No matter which Location setting I use, it will randomly think it's physically at my old address, giving me travel time to home as if I'm not already there. Weather apps and Now weather will revert randomly back to my old town, which is 30 minutes away.

Some research has indicated it may be because of my wifi router, but even using device only for location for a week hasn't fixed it, and my tablet has the same problem.

Makes you wonder what developers actually work on if they can't be bothered to fix such an obvious flaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Are you sure this isn't an account issue, rather than an OS issue? Is your address of record changed on your account, on the web site?

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DDesktop&hl=en

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27442?hl=en

https://support.google.com/payments/.../6220310?hl=en

Old 07-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Definitely not an account issue. Home address is correct, as I said even when I'm home, it shows 30 minutes to the correct home address. Even an account issue wouldn't explain why the GPS shows me 30 minutes away from where I actually am. I've read a number of threads on a number of forums and tried every fix I came across.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
So if you go to the Google App > Hamburger Menu > Settings > Settings again in Google Assistant > Personal Info > Home and Work Locations... those are correct???

Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Or a quick check:
Google Maps, Pick a spot - any spot, hit Right-Click, Navigate To Here.
Left panel opens, and From Location entry field is blank.
Below that is "Your Location", "Home", "Work" ...

Does "Home" show your new home location? If not, click on Edit to its right.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
This is caused by High Accuracy location mode. When using HA mode, the device uses WiFi routers to help determine location, and it's using your home router (that's no longer where it used to be).

It should update in a few weeks, but in the mean time you can set the location mode to Phone Only to have it just use GPS.

The trick to getting it to stick, is to not allow the device to go back into HA mode. When you get the prompt, you just have to ignore it / tell it no.

Last edited by Skunk Workz; 07-12-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So if you go to the Google App > Hamburger Menu > Settings > Settings again in Google Assistant > Personal Info > Home and Work Locations... those are correct???
They are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
This is caused by High Accuracy location mode. When using HA mode, the device uses WiFi routers to help determine location, and it's using your home router (that's no longer where it used to be).

It should update in a few weeks, but in the mean time you can set the location mode to Phone Only to have it just use GPS.

The trick to getting it to stick, is to not allow the device to go back into HA mode. When you get the prompt, you just have to ignore it / tell it no.
See my OP, didn't work.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
See my OP, didn't work.
Did it get set back to HA? My wife's phone gets set back to HA mode quite a bit, and instantly reverts back to a prior location, even after having been correct.

We travel full time, so we are in a new location every week or two. Since we have several "routers" in the RV, our phones / tablets are never accurate if they are set to use HA mode (always a week or two behind where we actually are), but as soon as they are switched to Phone Only they stay accurate.

It really sucks, but I have to work to keep HA mode off, since numerous things can switch it back on.

You could also try adding "_nomap" to the end of the SSID on any access points or routers that you have, and supposedly Google will stop adding it to the location DB. But many people that I know in RV and boating groups have reported limited success with that method so I haven't bothered.

Before I just stopped using HA mode altogether, I often had luck by connecting to my WiFi (something I almost never do with my phone), opening Maps on the device, and getting a location fix. I also noticed that this will correct the location in Maps in the browser on my PC almost immediately.

Additionally, if you can change / spoof the MAC address on your router, that combined with an SSID change might be enough to correct the issue, since it appears that the MAC address is what's used to ID the router.

And I agree completely, this is a really stupid thing to be this broken, especially for more than a couple of days. If these services are going to use non fixed equipment for geolocation, they need to update the location DB much more quickly, or provide a way to update it easily.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Nope, it's been on GPS only for 2 weeks now (not the 1 week I mentioned). Most discussions on the subject say the nomap thing is pointless, I'm not redoing my entire wi-fi network with such a limited chance of success.

About every suggestion available in the interwebs I've tried, like many others, none of them work. I'll check out the MAC spoof and see if anyone has had success with it.

Some people have linked the Google Streetview cars with the SSID location mapping and have suggested the issue will remain until one makes a new trip through my new neighborhood.

I found posts about this issue that are years old, so it's not a new phenomena.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Nope, it's been on GPS only for 2 weeks now (not the 1 week I mentioned). Most discussions on the subject say the nomap thing is pointless, I'm not redoing my entire wi-fi network with such a limited chance of success.

About every suggestion available in the interwebs I've tried, like many others, none of them work. I'll check out the MAC spoof and see if anyone has had success with it.

Some people have linked the Google Streetview cars with the SSID location mapping and have suggested the issue will remain until one makes a new trip through my new neighborhood.

I found posts about this issue that are years old, so it's not a new phenomena.
So GPS only, and you still don't get accurate location on various devices? Does Maps itself show the wrong location, or just other services / apps?

What about your Google location history (Maps in the browser, menu, your timeline)? Does it show accurate info, or is it off. Mine would have us start and end the day at our previous location, but would be accurate once I started using maps / driving.

What's the tablet using for OS? I'm wondering if this is something in Lineage. All of our devices corrected within a few minutes of switching to Phone Only, but they are all Samsung (S5 and S7 variants, along with a Note Pro).

Weather Underground, and the built in weather app in particular always had issues, along with most of the cards.

I still see wrong location info on Facebook all the time, but I think that's their own internal issues.

I agree on reworking the network. I have over a dozen wireless devices on my main router, and 3 additional "routers" that are always on (Verizon and AT&T Jetpacks, and a mobile router to bridge those devices to my physical network). Reworking all of that would be a royal pain, and too many people with out a solid resolution for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones