Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times

Advertisements

Sweet. My battery is shot. I bought the phone used. 'Battery Life' app says wear life is 'very high' with 66% capacity. This week when in my car in the cold I've noticed it's been dropping from >70% to 1% in about 15 min time with no usage. For my 5s battery replacement a couple years ago I took it to the local mom & pop store where they charged $50 & replaced it in an hour. I'll have to summon the courage & brave the Apple store trendy nerds to give them a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
This is for the iPhone 6 and later for those wondering.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Anyway, I called my local Apple store in Ann Arbor again today before my appointment tomorrow. Guess what? They started the reduce price battery of $29 yesterday. So anyone that needs a battery, make an appointment today before the slots fill up. I don't see the new information on the website yet.

Last edited by Yac; 01-02-2018 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 12:34 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I need this. I bought a "like new" iPhone 6 from eBay and gave my husband my old iPhone 6 since I needed more memory and he needed a newer phone. I've had trouble with the battery draining and the phone shutting down since I got it. Ironically, the phone I gave my husband is doing just fine and I bought it brand new when the 6's first came out. I was planning on making an appointment to get a new battery after the first of the year. Now I'm thinking for $29 I should get my husband's replaced as well since we both tend to keep our phones as long as possible.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Update for anyone that still wants or needs to get a $29 battery replacement. You have to call Apple Support. They open a repair ticket for you based on your model/serial number and order the battery specifically for your phone. They send the battery to your local Apple Store who contacts you to make an appointment. It took a month from the initial call to the email that the batteries were in.

I made the appointment to get mine replaced and the morning of the appointment, we got the email that my husband's battery was in also. The nice folks at the Apple store let us do both at the same time.

Interestingly enough, I didn't have any more issues with the phone draining or shutting down after they came out with the update to fix the slowdown issue. It will be nice to have a brand new battery in a 3 1/2 year old phone though. Should keep us from having to buy a new one for awhile.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Update for anyone that still wants or needs to get a $29 battery replacement. You have to call Apple Support. They open a repair ticket for you based on your model/serial number and order the battery specifically for your phone. They send the battery to your local Apple Store who contacts you to make an appointment. It took a month from the initial call to the email that the batteries were in.

I made the appointment to get mine replaced and the morning of the appointment, we got the email that my husband's battery was in also. The nice folks at the Apple store let us do both at the same time.

Interestingly enough, I didn't have any more issues with the phone draining or shutting down after they came out with the update to fix the slowdown issue. It will be nice to have a brand new battery in a 3 1/2 year old phone though. Should keep us from having to buy a new one for awhile.
That's why I am no longer a fan of Apple product. From time to time I might still get a product from them, but I don't purchase any accessories from them at all. I take my business elsewhere. The company has enough money, I don't think they need my share of dollars.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
That's why I am no longer a fan of Apple product. From time to time I might still get a product from them, but I don't purchase any accessories from them at all. I take my business elsewhere. The company has enough money, I don't think they need my share of dollars.
Well, I love Apple products, but you are right about the accessories! I recently bought a new iPad and bought my cover from Amazon for 1/3 of the price of the Apple branded product. Overall I was happy with the process to get the battery replaced -I just wanted to give others a heads up what to expect if they need to do the same.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well, I love Apple products, but you are right about the accessories! I recently bought a new iPad and bought my cover from Amazon for 1/3 of the price of the Apple branded product. Overall I was happy with the process to get the battery replaced -I just wanted to give others a heads up what to expect if they need to do the same.
Thanks for that. I haven't noticed any issues with iphone 7 plus. What was it doing that makes it necessary to do this?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thanks for that. I haven't noticed any issues with iphone 7 plus. What was it doing that makes it necessary to do this?
A lot of people who are not heavy internet users may not even notice that their phones have slowed down.
Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdowns and offers $29 battery replacements

Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
A lot of people who are not heavy internet users may not even notice that their phones have slowed down.
Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdowns and offers $29 battery replacements
I'm a heavy internet user. I still haven't noticed any slow down yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones