Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
If you don't make many calls, then Truphone is hard to beat.
Prepaid international SIM card.
You are correct! You didn't mention that it is good for international calling as well.

I would never have viewed this phone plan as a budget option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
thank you all.
I think I'm going with Consumer Cellular. I hear a lot of positive about them.
I like my landline. Comfortable, reliable, and doesn't cost much.
They also do advertise free cell phones. You may want to check into that.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sounds like you have bundled a cable landline. If that’s the case when the power goes out your landline is good for six hours. Copper is good for 48 hours. Our local cell towers have fuel cell backup good for over a week.

I don't have a TV.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't have a TV.
TV has nothing to do with it. You could still have a VOIP link an embedded MTA in your modem. The point of the response was to tell you that have limited battery life in the event of a power outage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sounds like you have bundled a cable landline. If that’s the case when the power goes out your landline is good for six hours. Copper is good for 48 hours.
Mr150's comment is still basically accurate except that some cable companies are not putting any batteries in the modems. In which case the landline will not be good for six hours, but will go out immediately in the event of a power failure.

You can buy your own batteries depending on the model of modem carried. A popular one is listed below as 2 batteries for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/backup-batter...5SR2MHJ8FK0ZA2

Copper may be good for more than 48 hours. A phone will work as long as it is getting between 6 and 12 volts at about 30 milliamps. In other words, it takes very little power to operate an old fashioned telephone.At the phone company office there is an extensive battery system, as well as a backup generator, to supply power during a power failure. If the power goes out, the batteries and generators keep the lines fully powered. Alaska requires eight hours of power while Iowa requires just two, but most states do not regulate the requirements. If the generators keep working at the telephone office, they could keep the lines operating for a week.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-29-2018 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones