Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
The TV I have now supports MHL but I need a Miracast adapter. My next TV, whenever that is, I'll probably make sure it has the Miracast support built directly into the TV. Be sure to keep your phone plugged in cause this will kill your battery quickly.
One of the problems with Miracast or Chromecast is you need WiFi to get them to work. If you are replacing cable with Verizon 4G or 5G then you don't have a source of WiFi.

MHL on the other hand uses a special micro USB to HDMI/MHL cable. So if you are getting your images from cellular you can project them on to a TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
One of the problems with Miracast or Chromecast is you need WiFi to get them to work. If you are replacing cable with Verizon 4G or 5G then you don't have a source of WiFi.

MHL on the other hand uses a special micro USB to HDMI/MHL cable. So if you are getting your images from cellular you can project them on to a TV.
I'm not using the TVs MHL capabilities. I don't have the cable, and I don't have a wireless adapter.

I'm going directly from my phone to my Windows PC. Windows 10 creates the Wi-Fi access point. My phone sees the network Windows 10 creates and connects to it and it displays the screen. No external WiFi needed.

I used to do it with a Chromecast but that requires Wi-Fi because the Chromecast dongle can't create the Wi-Fi network. Google could
build that into the Chromecast but they do not as the Chromecast is designed for Wi-Fi consumption. It is a thin client. That isn't true screen mirroring though that is a workaround. The way I'm doing it now is using Wi-Fi direct, which is where the devices create a direct Wi-Fi connection on their own. The way we used to do it with routers that are not connected to the network. Microsoft has built this into Windows 10.

The OP can do this using Windows 10 without a hotspot. He can do it and cast content he downloaded onto his phone. Or he can use his cellular data to stream; the phone modem picks up the content from Verizon but the connection to the Windows 10 PC has nothing to do with Verizon as it was generated as an Ad Hoc network. If the OP has an iPhone he can do it to an Apple TV or a Mac computer.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:

You can certainly have WiFi with 4G. Most Jetpacks or Mifi devices can support between 5 and 15 devices on their WiFi network, and purpose built travel routers will allow more complex setups.

We have RV Wide WiFi and wired networking via a Pepwave router. That router also has WiFi as WAN and USB tethering options, so the Verizon or AT&T Jetpacks get tethered via USB to the router to provide the internet connection.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You can certainly have WiFi with 4G. Most Jetpacks or Mifi devices can support between 5 and 15 devices on their WiFi network, and purpose built travel routers will allow more complex setups.
Quote:
I'm not using the TVs MHL capabilities.
The way I'm doing it now is using Wi-Fi direct, which is where the devices create a direct Wi-Fi connection on their own. The way we used to do it with routers that are not connected to the network. Microsoft has built this into Windows 10.

The OP can do this using Windows 10 without a hotspot. He can do it and cast content he downloaded onto his phone. Or he can use his cellular data to stream; the phone modem picks up the content from Verizon but the connection to the Windows 10 PC has nothing to do with Verizon as it was generated as an Ad Hoc network. If the OP has an iPhone he can do it to an Apple TV or a Mac computer.
It appears I stand corrected. I am using a Linux computer and I didn't know about Wi-Fi direct.

I was thinking AT&T $80 premium unlimited which includes 15 GB of hotspot data, 1 TV channels, and HBO was a reasonable all in one alternative for telecommunication needs for a single person not interested in sports. But you still need a way to view things on a larger monitor.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
It appears I stand corrected. I am using a Linux computer and I didn't know about Wi-Fi direct.

I was thinking AT&T $80 premium unlimited which includes 15 GB of hotspot data, 1 TV channels, and HBO was a reasonable all in one alternative for telecommunication needs for a single person not interested in sports. But you still need a way to view things on a larger monitor.
Windows is still good for some things. I like Linux but they don't license anything so they try to reverse engineer everything. VLC is a good example of this.

It is what it is though. Whatever works for you you learned something new today. You can still use a Miracast adapter, so you don't necessarily need Windows 10.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Whatever works for you you learned something new today.
I like to learn something new.

It seems that getting all your telecommunications needs met through cellular does not make sense unless you live alone. If you share a house with three people you will spend less with cable.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
I like to learn something new.

It seems that getting all your telecommunications needs met through cellular does not make sense unless you live alone. If you share a house with three people you will spend less with cable.
True. Plus it is a pain the _ it isn't as simple as turning your TV on.

If everyone in the family has a similar set up AND a computer dedicated to the cause AND they don't need to use their phone or their desktop for anything else at the time AND everyone has unlimited, either on a family plan or individually, then this is a practical solution. Which is never going to be the case.

Maybe companies will make it easier for us one day. I think companies have come a long way with streaming, I see DirecTV Now and Sling TV a step in the right direction. But you can easily get killed piecemeal, as they'll nickle and dime you to death. That's probably intentional to frustrate people so they'll just give up and walk away.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
If everyone in the family has a similar set up AND a computer dedicated to the cause AND they don't need to use their phone or their desktop for anything else at the time AND everyone has unlimited, either on a family plan or individually, then this is a practical solution. Which is never going to be the case.
I figure if you are single and you spend $20-$25 on a cell phone with unlimited talk and text plus $30 for 50 Mbs ISP, plus $10 for a modem/router rental, you are better off spending $65 ($55 discount for auto-pay) for At&t prepaid phone with unlimited data.
Then you figure the cost of commercial TV, plus HBO, plus Hotspot data, and the $80 postpaid AT&T service that includes 31 channels, HBO, and 15 GB Hotspot data and HD video seems like a good deal. Plus single people often leave home for extended periods for work or visiting relatives. Might as well take everything with you. However, you get no sports for that $80 and you have to watch CNN for news.

But for three people AT&T charges $170 a month for the same thing. I know in our house we pay cable $154 for 50 Mbps internet with Wifi, cable TV (130 channels) on three televisions, DVR, Showtime, The Movie Channel, and VOIP phone, plus three cell plans for $5 (20 minutes), $15 (300 minutes), and $20 (unlimited minutes & 500 text). That's not much more money and it's a lot more channels including sports.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 AM

325 posts, read 163,640 times
Quote:
I think it is about the same. As I understand it Google Fiber is $70 for 1 Gbps service whereas Verizon 5G Home is going to be $70 for 300Mbps with burst speeds as high as 1 Gbps. Bundling discounts will be available for Verizon cellular subscribers. For most people it will be somewhat academic as they won't have access to either service.

The Charter CEO publicly declared that he does not view Verizon 5G Home as a threat to his core business. All that they have done is to replace the drop line to the home with a expensive radio, and Verizon will have to do a massive overbuild with a new cable system to get radios close to homes. Besides he thinks cable will be delivering maximum speed permitted under DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex (10 Gbit/s downstream and upstream) within a decade. Such speeds will possibly allow holograms.

Of course, you would expect nothing less from the CEO of a major cable ISP. But I would not call 5G Home a cable killer.
verizons 5G home broad band is $ 50.00 if your a verizon sub after the the free three month trial and it's $ 70.00 if your not a verizon sub after the 3 free months of service. my average DL speed is 1.45 gbps.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
verizons 5G home broad band is $ 50.00 if your a verizon sub after the the free three month trial and it's $ 70.00 if your not a verizon sub after the 3 free months of service. my average DL speed is 1.45 gbps.
That sounds like a cable killer. Of course, I am not the CEO of a major cable company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones