Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,364,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
This is the issue with texting sometimes. With people preferring this over voice talking (some people hate talking on the phone), it may mean he/she is NOT ignoring, but sometimes they can be in actual dead zones where a text doesn't make it.

I recall talking to this woman on the phone, and I said, "Hey, did you get that picture I sent you?" and I described it. She goes, "No, I never did" and the pic was sent a couple of days ago. She asked me if I sent it during the day as at work, there's areas out there where data can fall flat.

So in that case, don't be afraid to follow-up with another text or call saying, "Hey, did you get my text?" So they may not be ignoring you after all.

Not sure if anyone can concur, but I've had some tell me that that texts ALWAYS make it through, and yes, you may be being ignored.
With technology, to be honest, it is possible. With my phone, if a text does not make it, it tells me that it was not sent in red letters. But I can see something like that happening in technology with a glitch. But in most cases, she is ignoring you. But that depends on the type of relationship they have. I believe close friends are not going to ignore each other. Then there are cases where you try to text someone and it just won't send. I went through that last night. Kinda frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,043,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If a person isn't responding, is because that person chose not to or is busy. Does these glitches happen to everyone? Of course, they're electronic devices transmitting radio waves.

Again, rarely the case someone isn't texting back because it got lost in a 'bit of heaven'. Who would ever tolerate/pay for unreliable carrier service if this was happening on regular basis?
Just because someone in a bad area doesn't make it a bad service.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,576,243 times
Yeah.......or the person says they didn't get it because they didn't want to reply to you. I think this is a bit more likely.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times
If you send a text and your carrier accepts it, it will be stored until it can be forwarded.

If you are in a bad area or your phone is switched off, the texts will remain on your carrier's system queue until your phone next "pings" the network. At that time you will get any missed texts or voice mails that came in while you were out of coverage.

My comments above regarding texts apply to SMS messaging only. The situation is a bit more complicated for iMessage (Apple only) and I see no reason to complicate things.

If you have some kind of obsolete cell then anything could happen. If you have a flaky carrier then anything could happen.

Here is some sensible advice to determine if your cellphone is obsolete. If you can fold it in half without breaking it, it's obsolete!

However I think in most cases "I didn't get your VM or text" is social lying, the other person didn't want to admit they were ignoring you or didn't feel like replying at the time. (How many of us have received texts we wanted to think over before replying?)

iPhone owners: I suggest you turn off message receipts. (Open up Settings. Scroll down to Messages. Either toggle Send Read Receipts on or off depending on what you prefer.) It's much more convenient when you get a text and would like to think it over before replying. Your iPhone comes with a default "read receipts enabled." If you do this the sender will see "received" but it won't say "read" even if you read it.

And a final note: This is technology and nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong... Few if any technological systems work perfectly, and it's possible for a single text to go astray here and there, but extremely unlikely (as long as both parties are in US*). If somebody says they didn't get your text IMO your chances are 1000:1 that they are telling a social lie.

* My answers apply to US/Canada only. AFAIK SMS text does not work to/from US/CA unless both parties are in the area. I have to use WhatsApp to text my international friends/family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones