Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times

Advertisements

I'm paying $50 per month for a landline that is almost always unplugged. Even when I have it plugged in, the $50 does not cover long distance, voice mail, etc. The only extra I have is caller ID. At present, I have this service because I am close to deaf and use a CapTel phone so my calls are captioned (requires internet which is from a separate company). It's really handy every few months when I want to make a phone call, but stupidly expensive.

I would love to replace the landline with a smart phone--so many ways to use them these days. But the ones I have tried have such a low (to me) volume that I can not use them for phone calls. I know there are apps to provide captions, but most seem to be for captioning videos. The few apps I've seen for voice calls are not highly rated--but that information may be old. Sprint advertised captioned phone calls a few years ago, but it never worked for me--$100/month after buying a very expensive phone. I actually paid to end that contract early.

My questions: (1)Does anyone know of (heard of) a smartphone app that provides usable phone call captions?

(2) Alternatively, I could possibly use a VOIP phone adapter. I actually bought an Obi200 which works with google voice. I just haven't found any information about using that with a CapTel phone and I wonder if my internet company would make a fuss about it. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
My mom is deaf in one ear and wears a Bluetooth hearing aid in the other.

When I call her cell phone, my voice goes directly into the hearing aid.

She also has a device that allows her to have the television sound go straight into her hearing aid while others in the room still get normal sound.

I don’t know about captioning apps, sorry.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Looks like there is a smartphone app for Hamilton Captel accounts.

https://www.healthyhearing.com/repor...aring-impaired

Last edited by Bo; 11-26-2018 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: grammar fix

Old 11-26-2018, 07:21 AM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times
Debsi--thanks for your reply. I have pretty good hearing aids, but they are not bluetooth capable. I may look into that next time I need to plunk down $3-4K for aids. I use a Sennheiser infra-red system for tv--love it.

Bo--thanks for the link, I will investigate the app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones