Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,563,128 times

Advertisements

approx. six weeks ago I found a Google pixel phone in a washroom at a local store

I have tried to locate owner by leaving messages with store security and also on local bulletin boards. Nothing.

looks like some tried to reset phone as it is at stage where it is ready to be set up. Part of this process is to log into the Google account previously used on the device, I have no clue

anyone know how to get past this, seems phone is working order but cannot be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Only the original Google account holder can do that. This is done to make it difficult for someone who steals or finds a phone from using it. No different than the iPhone device security.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Only the original Google account holder can do that. This is done to make it difficult for someone who steals or finds a phone from using it. No different than the iPhone device security.
so if I cannot find the owner it is basically worthless?

Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
so if I cannot find the owner it is basically worthless?
To you, it would be worthless.

If you know which cellular carrier it was being used on, the correct thing would be to return it to the provider and they could contact the phone owner. It is a security feature to prevent unauthorized access to the user's account/data.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
To you, it would be worthless.

If you know which cellular carrier it was being used on, the correct thing would be to return it to the provider and they could contact the phone owner. It is a security feature to prevent unauthorized access to the user's account/data.
ok, I wish I did, there was no SIM and it had been wiped, I guess it may have been stolen then dumped
I don't know of any way of finding out. I was able to get IMEI and looked it up and its clean, not reported lost or stolen

Old 02-21-2020, 11:29 AM

Doesn't matter if was or wan't reported lost/stolen. "Finders keepers" doesn't apply in this situation. Legally it isn't your phone.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if was or wan't reported lost/stolen. "Finders keepers" doesn't apply in this situation. Legally it isn't your phone.
I don't want to keep it I want to find the owner, I already have a decent phone. I will take it to my local Bell store, chances are the phone is on their network, biggest company in my area. Perhaps they can deal with it

Old 02-21-2020, 01:36 PM

That's the best thing you can/should do in this case. I wasn't trying to be difficult.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:44 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
You do not need a google account to use the phone. You DO need it to restore apps and settings and to install apps via the Play Store. The provider, AT&T, T-mobile or whatever will make it work via an activated SIM or if it is a CDMA phone, they do it directly to the phone via the IEMI. Not sure what provider it would be in Canada. Even if it has not been reported lost or stolen it may be possible to find the person or account to which it is linked.

https://sndeep.info/en

Old 03-03-2020, 11:45 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Anyone can lock a google android phone remotely via a computer/tablet or even another phone. If I ever lost my phone or it was stolen first thing I would do is see if I can find a stationary location for the phone, if not, wipe it and lock it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones