Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:41 PM

388 posts, read 328,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Pretty bold statement for someone who wears a Fanny pack in public.

I carry mine in my pocket as 99% males do
If I take a stroll around my yard the phone goes in my shorts pocket sometimes or a polo shirt pocket if the shirt even has one. Sometimes stuff falls out of my pockets and my pockets will often develop holes over time. I can't afford to keep breaking and replacing phones. Often it's not comfortable to carry stuff in pants pockets anyway. Fanny packs are a boon for handgun concealed carriers wherever lawful to do such as in Oklahoma where I live. A man I knew in the 1990's said it was unmacho for a man to have a cell phone. I bought my very first in 1996. A Motorola flip phone. I told this man it's handy for car breakdown emergencies and he said, "Well, John, you're a BIG GUY!" Yes, big fat guys have most of the heart attacks, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 09:27 PM

8,345 posts, read 6,438,626 times
Im old and have a iphone. Last Christmas one plane was late causing me to miss the 2nd plane. I had to fly to LAX 40 miles from my car. True story I had just gotten the Uber app the day before, it saved my life.

I go to a big church with a 120 people Tuesday morning senors group. Most all have a smartphone.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
If I take a stroll around my yard the phone goes in my shorts pocket sometimes or a polo shirt pocket if the shirt even has one. Sometimes stuff falls out of my pockets and my pockets will often develop holes over time. I can't afford to keep breaking and replacing phones. Often it's not comfortable to carry stuff in pants pockets anyway. Fanny packs are a boon for handgun concealed carriers wherever lawful to do such as in Oklahoma where I live. A man I knew in the 1990's said it was unmacho for a man to have a cell phone. I bought my very first in 1996. A Motorola flip phone. I told this man it's handy for car breakdown emergencies and he said, "Well, John, you're a BIG GUY!" Yes, big fat guys have most of the heart attacks, you know.
Where I live, concealed carry is done with a discrete holster for men. Women sometimes use a discrete holster or a purse. Never a Fanny pack. Aside from the dated look of a fanny pack, a holstered gun can be drawn and fired before you can unzip the pack-let alone the fiddling to find the gun.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
So I'm not sure what the issue here is. Smartphones are ubiquitous. With only 10% of the population not having them.

In 1970, 10% of the population didn't have phones at all. How did taxi services accommodate those 10%? They didn't because it didn't make sense to.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
So I'm not sure what the issue here is. Smartphones are ubiquitous. With only 10% of the population not having them.

In 1970, 10% of the population didn't have phones at all. How did taxi services accommodate those 10%? They didn't because it didn't make sense to.
They hailed a Yellow Cab with smoke signals, that 10% in 1970? My family did not even have a telephone in the home until 1969 and we lived only 25 miles north of highly-prestigious San Francisco, California. It was a Western Electric rotary-dial phone and no party line either. I was 5 at that time.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Pretty bold statement for someone who wears a Fanny pack in public.

I carry mine in my pocket as 99% males do
99.99% FTFY

Mine stays in my hand when I am walking around in public. I stare at it constantly. Not because I am a "zombie".... its because I don't like most people and people don't start the inane grocery store line chit chat when I'm staring at it.

(Mostly joking there, but another one of my pet peeves is people that DO have cell phones but think they are better then any other person because they don't look at it that much. Tip: you're not.)

Old 09-24-2021, 07:11 AM

Until we got our own house phone, my folks had to drive down to downtown Novato, CA to use one of those Maxwell Smart phone booths, sans trap door, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
The trouble with Uber and also some nice things with Uber.-mpb-getsmart-phonebooth.jpg  

Old 09-24-2021, 07:49 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The 'fixed income' argument is baseless when someone on a 'fixed income' can get one for free.

Far too many older people don't know what a smart phone can do. and far too many of them think "oh, that's just to hard for me"... Facts. I hear it all the time.

And frankly that attitude is one of my top ten pet peeves.

You're not wrong, but you skipped where I said they don't see the need.

I know the convenience of Uber, and have used Uber many times. But my mom, in her 80's, would call one of her kids or call a cab if she needed a ride. Preferably one of her kids and save the $30 Uber ride. (There's that fixed income thing.)

And she's not going to use an app to order food and have grub hub or whatever deliver it. It's an added expense that a person on a fixed income will forego.

Now...they MIGHT have groceries delivered, but the added cost of a delivery fee will slow them down.

You're not wrong that they don't know what all a smart phone can do...but for the most part...they don't care either.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:04 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

A dime and a phone booth.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:13 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You're not wrong, but you skipped where I said they don't see the need.
It still falls into my pet peeve. They don't see a NEED because they aren't willing to even investigate IF this is something they may want. "Stuck in their ways"...

"I haven't needed a cell phone for 80 years, why would I need one now?"

Show 'em FaceTime and being able to see the grandkids at the drop of a hat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones