Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 08:30 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I recognize bandwidth is an issue, but especially in rural areas that haven't had infrastructure upgraded to include wired or fiber internet, cell coverage is becoming the way kids can get schoolwork done on the internet. Hotspots on phones give access speeds similar to what I used to have on Hughsnet a few years ago.

I note that android has tried to make accessing the net through a phone wifi hotspot harder, and under control of the carrier, but this won't last. Could it be that the days of $200 bundled internet and TV will be going the way of AT&T long distance phone call charges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 10:28 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
I believe so. Over the past few years I have noticed how the cell phone has slowly taken the place of the computer. I still have a computer that I rarely use; mostly for word processing and doing spreadsheets, which I don't even really need internet for. Web surfing, email, social media, online bill paying, and banking is all done with my phone now.

I don't think we are at that point yet however, as there are still things that works better with wired ISPs like streaming TV, home security systems, and so forth. When I connect my phone to T Mobile, I get less than 2 Mbps download speeds, which really isn't sufficient to do data intensive stuff like streaming. But if I drive 5 miles down the road, I get 10+ Mbps download speeds. So until the cell phone companies can increase their coverage to provide more accessible (and unlimited) high speed data in more locations, then I don't see ISPs going away. But just like I believe online streaming services is making a major dent in cable and satellite TV, the same will likely happen with cell phones and wired data services.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:18 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
OP, you may or may not be aware, both T Mobile and Verizon (maybe others also) are rolling out 5g Fixed Wireless Broadband Internet to compete with “wired” ISP’s, such as telcos and cable companies.

Obviously, the quality and reliability of service will be based on the subscriber’s signal quality from the cell towers in the area.

We have been using T Mobile 5g Home Internet (to replace my old ISP - AT&T) since June, 2021. Our experiences have been excellent. We routinely see download bandwidth between 400-570 mbps and uploads at 15-80 mbps. Other metrics (latency, etc) are very good also.
We can stream and do video conferencing reliably without buffering, etc. We are located in a major metropolitan area, so the cellular infrastructure is pretty robust. Experiences will vary.

The provider supplied gateway device to support this technology is essentially a cell phone hotspot on steroids. I’m oversimplifying, of course, but functionality is the same - conversion of 5g signals to Wifi.

Last edited by ccm123; 12-27-2021 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 12:14 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Without a doubt. I remember in the early 2000's when this was the discussion. The idea was that 4G would replace corded internet. However, this was quickly realized as a failure to start in 2008 when 5G was being discussed. 5G was designed to succeed in what 4G failed. We know that with today's speeds of ~500mbps, we are nowhere near the wired internet speeds of 2000 mbps (2gbps) speeds we see on fiber to residential homes.

But 5G also aims to provide sub 5ms latency and we're already hitting that. It's only a matter of time until 5g reaches reasonable speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones