Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:24 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times

Advertisements

I have used my phone plenty of time when hiking, kayaking, and even flying. It is highly useful but ofc only as informative as the underlying mapping program I have loaded and am using. Usually it's google, sometimes with offline maps if I can remember to DL them in advance but sometimes with AllTrails maps and sometimes even Pokemon Maps. I have a long battery life on my phone and when I am traveling I often bring a spare batter pack.

I don't go treking in true wilderness areas (like Alaska) but am in the wood daily and have never felt the need for any additional device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 07:33 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What happens when you slip off that log and take a dip in the river? I guess you keep it in a zip lock bag?
This is the cheapest one.

WATERPROOF IPX7

Old 09-07-2022, 08:22 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
FWIW, many topos are printed on waterproof paper or you can use laminating sheets. This gives the added benefit of being able to mark it. Doesn’t change the fact that sat nav is superior.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:50 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
What I haven't said here is that we always have a paper map, too. Fold it up showing the part of the trip you are doing, put it in a baggie. These are usually provided by our outfitter.
Make good souvenirs, too.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:58 PM

135 posts, read 68,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What happens when you slip off that log and take a dip in the river? I guess you keep it in a zip lock bag?
I was at the lake this summer. An acquaintance was on the dock and couldn't find his iPhone. After about ten minutes, he located it - under the dock, in a few feet of water. He fished it out. It worked just fine.

Can an electronic device be lost and/or rendered non-functional? Sure. So can a paper map. You can lose it. It can blow away. It can fall into the same river and be swept downstream. You're fixating on potential problems with the phone-based technology. Some people are always disproportionately suspicious of a more-recent innovation and blind to the limitations of long-established technologies.

And, yes, when I have my phone with me while doing sketchy river crossings, it's in a Ziploc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones