Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times

Advertisements

I just started a new job that has strict internet use rules. I google often for code examples and snippets but evidently the current reports they use for tracking don't distinguish by site only time so I'd like to get off the Company network altogether for these purposes. I've got the Sprint network but have no problem switching.
Texting isn't a prereq just a net connection to quickly google information. A qwerty keyboard would be a plus on the phone but not absolutely necessary.
So, I would like some opinions on phones and plans please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,716,582 times
I think the 3 best phones here in the States for that would be the blackberry, the iphone and the google phone. I am picky and couldn't deal w/o a real keyboard, thus the reason for my blackberry. There's a REALLY great series of articles at crackberry.com in which established bloggers who are strict fanatics about their phones did a round robin and gave the plus and minuses as they saw them. The phones included the G1 (google phone), Blackberry Bold, Iphone 3g, Treo Pro & HTC Fuze. There's pics, videos, and opinion on each. Hope this helps.

http://roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com/

Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Ya thanks, that does help. I just can't get with the texting with the thumbs thing

I'll check that, thanks again.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,498,521 times
For internet, the Iphone is way better compared to any on the market.
I have a blackberry(that I dont use anymore) and an Iphone,
And Iphone will open any webpage, while the blackberry will open but it wont be the same.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:56 AM

712 posts, read 2,147,292 times
It's my understanding the iphone browser is just not that good (dunno, haven't tried it) not to mention it can't open multiple apps at once.. and or the lack of 3g in areas (yah, I can rant about apple.. I'm a ibm geek and the only thing I think apple got right partially is the ipod)

I would highly suggest a windows mobile phone.. one with a keyboard would be good.. (the keyboard touch may be too slow for your tastes or not as responsive) I would suggest one with a lots of ram and the best cpu you can get..

The main reason I would suggest windows.. is like the operating systems we mostly use.. windows has the ability to run 1,000's of app's.. and basically if you don't like IE (and it's not good) what's awesome on a mobile phone is Opera.. it's a ram hog and is gonna be slow whatever you do.. but the better the spec's of the phone the better off you are.. it is a beautiful browser that actually shows pages the way there meant to be displayed and you can use this as alternative if you don't like IE for browsing..

I would highly suggest a HTC phone.. as those seem to be the favorites among sprint users right now.. (I am using one)

Did you know that sprint has best roaming agreements of any provider?
Did you know that sprint largely has the best download of all wireless providers (with rare exception in some cases AT&T 3g network or so I’ve heard)?
Did you know that sprint (until just recently) and fixable with a modification allows you to force roam onto verizon?

Anyway.. here are the app's I use on my sprint mogul (which is now somewhat outdated)
- Opera
- Email/Internet Explorer
- Remote Desktop (control your desktop from your phone.. yah it's somewhat difficult to navigate but manageable)
- Internet sharing (share internet via bluetooth.. (not stable) or usb (very stable))
- Sync contacts into outlook
- Watch TV (mainly clips)

And I've done some other things.. this really demonstrates the power of windows mobile as a the OS but.. I have surfed and played music and video clips over my network.. (well phone plays videos but I never bother) fired up a emulator and played I think it was "secret of mana" for like 10 minutes (doesn't make a pocketpc a good game device ) and I have on occasion used bluetooth headphones to listen to music on my flash card wirelessly.. there's a hell of a lot options spelled out in a quick post..

Ohh and since you said plans.. I’ll tell you the big secret plan I’m on.. it’s called sprint Sero.. it’s
- 500 minutes (your usual night and weekends thing)
- Free Texting
- And a data connection

All for $30 a month.. about $35 or so with taxes.. unfortunately it’s no longer available.. but there are weirdo’s out there that want off this plan??? And as such they will let you take it over.. usually charging you a slight fee to do so.. you might be able to find such people at howardforums.com (the place for cell phone nerds)

Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
It's my understanding the iphone browser is just not that good (dunno, haven't tried it) not to mention it can't open multiple apps at once.. and or the lack of 3g in areas (yah, I can rant about apple.. I'm a ibm geek and the only thing I think apple got right partially is the ipod)
Is the best right now in the market. No phone comes near the web-browser of the Iphone, you can do a search for it, many people have compared them.
It is true you can only open on app at once, but you can open plenty of internet windows that you want, so you can be in more then one webpage.

Quote:
I would highly suggest a windows mobile phone.. one with a keyboard would be good.. (the keyboard touch may be too slow for your tastes or not as responsive) I would suggest one with a lots of ram and the best cpu you can get..
Well if you havent used it? After 3 days you become an expert on the keyboard, I am actually using it right now..

Quote:
The main reason I would suggest windows.. is like the operating systems we mostly use.. windows has the ability to run 1,000's of app's.. and basically if you don't like IE (and it's not good) what's awesome on a mobile phone is Opera.. it's a ram hog and is gonna be slow whatever you do.. but the better the spec's of the phone the better off you are.. it is a beautiful browser that actually shows pages the way there meant to be displayed and you can use this as alternative if you don't like IE for browsing..
I dont get it, the Iphone shows the pages the same way your PC does.

Quote:
- Email/Internet Explorer
The Iphone has it.

Quote:
- Remote Desktop (control your desktop from your phone.. yah it's somewhat difficult to navigate but manageable)
the Iphone has it.

Quote:
- Internet sharing (share internet via bluetooth.. (not stable) or usb (very stable))
It has WiFi, but the bluetooth is not for sharing internet.

Quote:
- Sync contacts into outlook
Iphone has it, also syncs your appointments

Quote:
- Watch TV (mainly clips)
The Iphone has all the clips you want, youtube,
Oh, and the iphone internet has the best reviews and it is the best on the market. No other phone comes near it.

Last edited by cjma79; 12-24-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Your iphone has no copy and paste.. can only open one app at a time.. what a piece of crap.. honestly.. how can you even compare this operation to your iphone..

Today on my phone more than once.. I looked up two sites.. t-mobile (don't ask) and lowes.. each time I went to the site typed in my zip code and walla got the address.. then I copy and pasted that address into google maps with gps and instantly got directions.. and I also honestly copy and paste numbers all the time I wonder if iphone does that?

You know I haven't evaluated it.. but I know apple pretty good and the only product I like and I think could be done way better is ipod.. iphone = fancy toy on a bad network AT&T.. I’m surprised you can make great data claims about AT&T when most iphone users ***** about connectivity or inability to get 3g data..

One reason why I wouldn’t even bother evaluating it is cause I’m already a sprint fan.. when 2-3 more years pass and iphone is brought to sprint I’ll have a look

Ohh yah I did forget to post a app I use all the time as well
- Notes (finding it neat lately)
- Google Maps (free)
- And there is microsoft word for those that care..

This is without question the same old debate.. IBM vs. Mac.. this year alone Microsoft sold over 20 million licenses for it's windows mobile software.. what is iphone up to 1-2 million units?? Iphone may be neat.. but just like the actual mac osx it's applications are few and far between compared to the thousand's already available for microsofts windows mobile and millions available for the ibm side

Last edited by themaster; 12-24-2008 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Your iphone has no copy and paste.. can only open one app at a time.. what a piece of crap.. honestly.. how can you even compare this operation to your iphone..
it has Icopy for internet copy and paste. And again we are talking about web surfing.

Quote:
Today on my phone more than once.. I looked up two sites.. t-mobile (don't ask) and lowes.. each time I went to the site typed in my zip code and walla got the address.. then I copy and pasted that address into google maps with gps and instantly got directions.. and I also honestly copy and paste numbers all the time I wonder if iphone does that?
if you are on a webpage in you have a phone number in the webpage you just click on the phone number and it will call.
With the Iphone you just go to maps, search t-mobile or lowes and it will give you all the lowes on your area, click on it and you will get dirrections, number, webpage.

Quote:
You know I haven't evaluated it.. but I know apple pretty good and the only product I like and I think could be done way better is ipod.. iphone = fancy toy on a bad network AT&T.. I’m surprised you can make great data claims about AT&T when most iphone users ***** about connectivity or inability to get 3g data..
I never had any AT&T problems.

Quote:
One reason why I wouldn’t even bother evaluating it is cause I’m already a sprint fan.. when 2-3 more years pass and iphone is brought to sprint I’ll have a look
Just go to a Apple store and play with one.

Quote:
Ohh yah I did forget to post a app I use all the time as well
- Notes (finding it neat lately)
- Google Maps (free)
- And there is microsoft word for those that care..
Hmmm lets see Notes, it has,
Google Maps, it has and for free.
Microsoft word,Power Point, or any you can view, you need another app for change or edit files.

Quote:
This is without question the same old debate.. IBM vs. Mac.. this year alone Microsoft sold over 20 million licenses for it's windows mobile software.. what is iphone up to 1-2 million units?? Iphone may be neat.. but just like the actual mac osx it's applications are few and far between compared to the thousand's already available for microsofts windows mobile and millions available for the ibm side
20 millions on plenty different phones not just one phone.
Oh and I think your numbers are a little low,
3 millions Iphone sold in the first month it was out, for the 3g,
so I think your little 2 million was on the first week.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
20 millions on plenty different phones not just one phone.
Oh and I think your numbers are a little low,
3 millions Iphone sold in the first month it was out, for the 3g,
so I think your little 2 million was on the first week.
I know they sold world-wide a higher number.. according to this article it appears to be 10 million.. what is funny is as they say.. this graphic shows they have 1% market share.. that's about the same share they have in the computer market..

Apple iPhone reaches 10 million units sold : Obsessable Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I never had any AT&T problems.
This may be the case for you.. this is not the case for everyone.. 2 example links..
http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1473131
http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=366

Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I know they sold world-wide a higher number.. according to this article it appears to be 10 million.. what is funny is as they say.. this graphic shows they have 1% market share.. that's about the same share they have in the computer market..

Apple iPhone reaches 10 million units sold : Obsessable Technology News

This may be the case for you.. this is not the case for everyone.. 2 example links..
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - No more 3G for BLUE customers?!?! WTF?!?!
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - AT&T 3G Network Expansion
Well I am in NYC, so I dont think you are going to have problems with any service here(unless you are in the subway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones