Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 43,072 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have Alltel and our contract ends in July. We are going with Verizon. Can anyone recommend a good phone through Verizon? I need a phone with a speaker phone, voice dialing, potential for email, camera phone (I have an Itouch that I love, unfortunately ATT service isn't good up in Huntersville, otherwise I would get an IPhone). Any ideas? I have a Motorola Razr than we have had good luck with. Veriozon said that the Razr has been discontinued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnenicol View Post
My husband and I have Alltel and our contract ends in July. We are going with Verizon. Can anyone recommend a good phone through Verizon? I need a phone with a speaker phone, voice dialing, potential for email, camera phone (I have an Itouch that I love, unfortunately ATT service isn't good up in Huntersville, otherwise I would get an IPhone). Any ideas? I have a Motorola Razr than we have had good luck with. Veriozon said that the Razr has been discontinued.
Look on CNET.com they have editor reviews and customer reviews for just about every cell phone on the market. (Sorted by carrier).

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
Quote:
Phone Scoop

Phonescoop is also a good source for phone reviews.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,137,294 times
Quote:
I've been with Alltel since 2003. Now that Verizon bought them out, service stinks.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I've been with Alltel since 2003. Now that Verizon bought them out, service stinks.
Have you updated your PRL (preferred roaming list) by dialing *228, listening to the recording, and selecting option 2?

Since the buyout many changes to the network have been implemented. If your phone doesn't have the latest PRL then service will be bad.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Have you updated your PRL (preferred roaming list) by dialing *228, listening to the recording, and selecting option 2?

Since the buyout many changes to the network have been implemented. If your phone doesn't have the latest PRL then service will be bad.
Thank you!!!! I updated this morning & hoping it helps.

How often does this need to be done?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Thank you!!!! I updated this morning & hoping it helps.

How often does this need to be done?
Did it help?

I would update the PRL every couple of months.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Did it help?

I would update the PRL every couple of months.
I'm not sure yet.

I think there's dead space around my house that interferes with service/dropped calls that no amount of updating can fix. We have WiFi, box is right outside my room & I'm wondering if that would be an interferent.

Now, phone only seems to heat up when battery has two/one bars left (i.e. running down) vs. fully charged. What does that mean?

I'm hoping the heat issue will be solved when I get the new battery (motorolla is sending me one next week).

Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,944 times
Verizon seem to have the best service around the Charlotte area. We've always had the LG phones, tried others, but exchanged them within the 30 days. I was even told by one of the service reps that the LG is one of the better phones. We didn't like Samsung (which seems to be the one they are always pushing). We get new phones in September, I'm starting to search out my replacement, and these websites are great . Thanks.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,238 times
Quote:
I have Verizon and have the LG Voyager Titanium. It does all that you're looking for and I love it. The only downside is it will freeze up if I get a text at the same time as an email alert. I have to take the battery out and reinsert, so it'll shut off. I don't know if this is a glitch in my phone or a glitch in all phones. It isn't enough to hinder my use of the phone, though. The websites listed above are great references, I actually bought this phone after watching the CNet video on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones