Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get my You Tube downloads on my iPhone 3GS. I have them converted and in my iTunes but they are not going on my phone when I sync it to the computer. Has anyone done this successfully and can tell me what I am doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
When your phone is plugged in, open itunes, and click on your iphone. You will have a bunch of tabs for different content, music, ringtones, etc., and video. Click on video and there will be options for you to sync all of your videos or just selected ones.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Naptowner.. Thank you for your quick response..

itunes put them in my Movies folder and they are also in a new playlist folder. I went to Video's as you suggested, clicked on one of them in Movies, file, selected sync and it didn't do anything. Sync just isn't seeing them at all. I tried dragging and dropping from Music to video and nothing happened. Also tried select all, copy and went to music video's right clicked and there was no option to paste. I have been working on this for days and can't figure out what I an doing wrong..

Have you ever done this? Downloaded your favorite you tube video's and got them on the iPhone where you could watch them? I have been using DVDsoft to download and convert them and that puts them IN iTunes but they will not go on to the phone. DVDsoft forums are not real swift about responding to your questions or they are just ignoring me..yea, I have been a pest there.. I had a guy friend who is smart on computers and iPhone and he told me it just can't be done... period!

DVDsoft has put them in MPG4 format and in movies, they are in Quicktime player. I did the advanced, creat iPod or iPhone version and even that didn't put them on my phone. I feel like I am missing some small little something and can't figure out what! If you have done it, what programs did you use to convert them?

I work on a boat and we are without cell service more than we have it and I just want to be able to watch my favorite you tube videos when I want to.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Yes, I have put movies on my iphone. It sounds like they are not in the correct format.

Do it the way I suggested - plug in your iphone and it should show up as a device. Click on your iphone, and you should see a summary page, with a bunch of tabs across the top. Click "Movies." (I said "video" in the first post, but you want "Movies." Right at the top you should have an option to "Sync Movies." Select this, and then you will have the option to sync whatever movies are in iTunes that are in the proper format for the iPhone. If you don't see any movies to sync, your movies aren't in the correct format. I have used Videora, a free converter for movies, in the past, which puts them in the correct format.

The movies will be in your ipod under Video.

It sounds like you are viewing the movies in your iTunes library, and then clicking "sync," but that isn't going to put the movies on your iPhone until you select the "Sync Movies" option I described above.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Good news! I got it DONE! I got 2 on there!! Don't ask me how, I am not sure but I am off to try again and see if I can figure out what I did right!!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Thank you Naptowner! I now have 13 of them loaded on my phone doing what you told me to do. The program to convert fails to tell you what to do in iTunes and I was doing it right all the time, just wasn't doing that final step in iTunes, because I wasn't aware of it. I did search in iTunes to find out if there was anything I was suppose to do and didn't come up with anything in there.. Don't know what I did the first few time I tried what you said and it didn't respond but I kept trying and by golly, it WORKED!

Thank you so much for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones