Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM

120 posts, read 256,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Until you lived through a Hugo/Andrew or Katrina
I knew as I was posting that I was going to get some backlash...

My point of that post was with a hurricane you at least know it's coming - so I won't be living through it I will be hopping in my car & driving north to stay with family at the first sign of one heading our way!

There is little to no warning when a tornado hits in the midwest - you have to just hunker down & hope for the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
They sure didn't. I thought people were going to kill each other in 99' when Floyd approached, you wanna see a cluster F$%%^&...It was the most unorganized, unprepared thing I've ever seen. Trying to remember who the Governor was, but his head was so far up his a$$, he didn't have a clue!
Yeah, I remember my cousin's chronicle of his 12-hr trip up I-26 to Columbia; of how it was common to see middle-aged women get out of their Lexus, or whatever, run to the median, drop their drawers and pinch-off a load.

Was it Beaseley- the guv then?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
I knew as I was posting that I was going to get some backlash...

My point of that post was with a hurricane you at least know it's coming - so I won't be living through it I will be hopping in my car & driving north to stay with family at the first sign of one heading our way!

There is little to no warning when a tornado hits in the midwest - you have to just hunker down & hope for the best!
You do know SC gets tornados as well, absent of hurricanes?

Main difference is there are no warning sirens down there.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I did the more-or-less inverse of what you did:

30 years in Charleston, and now 30 in Northern Wisconsin.

I've found I can hang with either long summers or long winters.

But I don't think I could do a fire season like they have in So. Cal.

This summer wasn't so bad up here, drought finally broke, and we were usually just North of the Jetstream path, so we hit 90F maybe twice.

Last Winter was an El Nino type so it only got down to -22F, when around -35F or so is the norm. Although either is a bit cold for some folks.

Woodshed thermometer had 36F this morning, so it's coming, and I look forward to it.
36 this morning already?! it's August! That is exactly what I am talking about! Beautiful up there but too dang cold!

Growing up in MN I thought I knew what humidity was - not so much! I was in MN a few weeks ago - what a difference between there & here!

BTW this midwestern girl just got a brief history lesson the other day when I asked a coworker what geechie was...

Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
36 this morning already?! it's August! That is exactly what I am talking about! Beautiful up there but too dang cold!

Growing up in MN I thought I knew what humidity was - not so much! I was in MN a few weeks ago - what a difference between there & here!

BTW this midwestern girl just got a brief history lesson the other day when I asked a coworker what geechie was...
Finding a geechie in modern-day Charleston is akin to finding an authentic cowboy in Arizona today- they are around, but they sure aren't common.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You do know SC gets tornados as well, absent of hurricanes?

Main difference is there are no warning sirens down there.
I do but from what I hear - especially in the coastal areas (I'm in Mt. Pleasant) they are pretty few & far between. Right? Not a common occurance like southern mn!

I was back a few weeks ago checking out gma's farm - trees looked like toothpicks & huge metal buildings were turned into abstract art projects!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Finding a geechie in modern-day Charleston is akin to finding an authentic cowboy in Arizona today- they are around, but they sure aren't common.
It came up because I was talking to this guy & I could not understand a word he said - I get the southern accents down here fine for the most part but not his. My co-worker grew up on James Island - apparently pretty prominent in that area when she was growing up.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I do but from what I hear - especially in the coastal areas (I'm in Mt. Pleasant) they are pretty few & far between. Right? Not a common occurance like southern mn!

I was back a few weeks ago checking out gma's farm - trees looked like toothpicks & huge metal buildings were turned into abstract art projects!
S. Minnesota is plains country, so my guess is tornados may be more common there, than in Mt Pleasant.

I'd rate the probability of a twister here in the Northwoods as about the same as Mt Pleasant/coastal SC's.

But that's just a guess. I'd consult NOAA data to see if it's valid or not as compared with the facts.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It came up because I was talking to this guy & I could not understand a word he said - I get the southern accents down here fine for the most part but not his. My co-worker grew up on James Island - apparently pretty prominent in that area when she was growing up.
Look up the term 'Gullah' to get some info on this.

In the 50's-60's when I was growing up, Gullah- or at least speech patterns heavily influenced by Gullah- was the norm in Charleston.

But that hasn't been the case since the first big wave of new arrivals circa 1970.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,999,297 times
Quote:
Yeah, I remember my cousin's chronicle of his 12-hr trip up I-26 to Columbia; of how it was common to see middle-aged women get out of their Lexus, or whatever, run to the median, drop their drawers and pinch-off a load.

Was it Beaseley- the guv then?

Yes Beasley! USELESS! Anyway...I could write a book about that day on I26. My patience were at -1000 that day.

Ocean, I'd still rather do a tornado. Hell, one could land down the street and not effect anyone else. Where as a Cane, its constant, never ending. Guess we'll see if your opinion changes one day ... But hey, I'm the idiot who'd strap himself to a pier during one!

Hurricane Bonnie, we made the news by being tied to the Georgetown Boat launch. It was classsic! To see my bosses face after he saw us on the news, especially after I called in sick that day, priceless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area