Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,456 times

Advertisements

Hi.

So I just accepted a job offer to work in downtown Charleston and have some questions for you locals. We will be relocating from Knoxville, TN which is a state that does not have property/state income taxes so my first question is related to that. How bad is vehicle registration going to be? Both of our cars bluebook in the 15-20k range.

How bad is the commute into downtown from Summerville in the morning and reverse in the afternoon? We haven't decided on Summerville 100% but it seems to be the best area to get more for less.

I'm looking for a rental house to start, what areas are suggested and what areas should I stay away from?

What are the good banks? I see that Regions is there, which is the only one I'm familiar with. Suggestions?

I'm really looking forward to getting down there and making Charleston our new home!

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
If your hours are regular 9-5 ish hours the commute will be long. I'd say at least an hours probably more. If your not prime hours at least 45 minutes. A Realtor that handles rentals can send you listings for Rentals listed on MLS and you may also try a Property Management company.

We use BB & T and Wachovia for banking. We also like First federal.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3lf View Post
Hi.

So I just accepted a job offer to work in downtown Charleston and have some questions for you locals. We will be relocating from Knoxville, TN which is a state that does not have property/state income taxes so my first question is related to that. How bad is vehicle registration going to be? Both of our cars bluebook in the 15-20k range.

Income taxes here are 7%, but we are currently trying to get a state version of the FairTax passed to get rid of that...

Property Taxes vary by county but can be expensive on newer cars $300~400/yr but you can get discounts for high mileage.

How bad is the commute into downtown from Summerville in the morning and reverse in the afternoon? We haven't decided on Summerville 100% but it seems to be the best area to get more for less.

Depends on the time of travel, can be 30~45minutes to up to 1.5hrs..

I'm looking for a rental house to start, what areas are suggested and what areas should I stay away from?

If you are looking in Summerville stay away from Sangaree area, Canebay is ok. Some areas of Corey Woods are getting to be less than desireable also...

What are the good banks? I see that Regions is there, which is the only one I'm familiar with. Suggestions?

I would go with SC Federal Credit Union....

I'm really looking forward to getting down there and making Charleston our new home!

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.

Jeff
See above answers......

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,456 times
Thank you all for the info and offers to help in finding a rental. Truth is, I'll be working for a real-estate company in downtown Charleston so I have the home search being taken care of. My question was more about areas to look/avoid. I want something that's quiet and family oriented, as it will be my wife & I as well as out 14 month old.

Anything else I need to be made aware of before I get there?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,755 times
click here ...... Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area