Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I think they are caught up on the term "ceremony". LOL

I wonder if they have a play book for what constitutes an actual ceremony and what does not? Who exactly makes that decision? LOL
It's not "they" who is hung up on the term ceremony. The OP made it clear what she/he was looking for, someone to sign the docs and push them out the door. It doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM

11 posts, read 24,399 times
1. It isn't breaking of any oaths by the Notary. 2. The notary can marry 2 people in SC, you do not need a Justice of the Peace. 3. I really believe the OP is meaning they do not want the huge church and family ceremony. The ceremony performed by the Notary would be fine with the OP (I think). When my wife and I got married, we did so in Jamaica. However, before we left, we got a marriage certificate and had it notarized here in SC, just to make sure we were legally married (which I found out later the Jamaica certificate would have sufficed). - OP, if all of what I have said is true and what you are looking for, then send me a message. I am a notary and I will do it for you

Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithLaw View Post
1. It isn't breaking of any oaths by the Notary. 2. The notary can marry 2 people in SC, you do not need a Justice of the Peace. 3. I really believe the OP is meaning they do not want the huge church and family ceremony. The ceremony performed by the Notary would be fine with the OP (I think). When my wife and I got married, we did so in Jamaica. However, before we left, we got a marriage certificate and had it notarized here in SC, just to make sure we were legally married (which I found out later the Jamaica certificate would have sufficed). - OP, if all of what I have said is true and what you are looking for, then send me a message. I am a notary and I will do it for you
Exactly, you get it!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
I don't think that the OP has even come back to this post, they have one post and that is it...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithLaw View Post

OP wants someone to sign the license etc...and send them on their way. You can not do that and stay compliant with regulation.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Hey, Chromekitty...

How about describing the proper regulation and give an example of the minimun requirements. You seem very schooled on the subject. I look forward to your rendition of the ceremony procedings. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Hey, Chromekitty...

How about describing the proper regulation and give an example of the minimun requirements. You seem very schooled on the subject. I look forward to your rendition of the ceremony procedings. Thanks.
Hey Cape....

You can find those online but a ceremony is where you exchange vows etc..surely you know that? A notary can NOT just sign papers saying he/she "married" you, because the ones getting married don't want the "ceremony". If you have further question perhaps you should question the OP as to THEIR verbage, not mine as that is where the problem lies.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I read it the way you did. I read that the OP wants to get "legally/quietly" married now, then do all the church/social hoopla at a later time.

I did some checking and a Notary Public can perfom marriages in SC. The couple (man and woman by SC law....LOL) must have a SC marriage license. The Notary will perform the ceremony, notarize the marriage certificate, and file the necessary paperwork with the state notifying them of the marriage. The SC Notory Public handbook even has a suggested marriage vow printed in it.

Accufit posted this a couple of days ago...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Here you go...by page 27-28 of abode reader you can find the regulations along with "sample" vows that will need to be exchanged...hence a ceremony.

http://www.scsos.com/forms/Notary/No...enceManual.PDF

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM

As the officiant, you are required to:
Witness the Bride and Groom sign the Marriage License;
Sign your name in block that says "Officiant" and apply your expiration date;
Print your name and address beneath your signature; and
Make sure all three copies of the marriage license are signed with the names and
addresses printed legibly.

Does not say that you are required to administer vows, but that is part of it isn't it? Taking and oath to be married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area