Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times

Advertisements

Looking to go to 50"-60" ... which is better .. LED, LCD or Plasma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,236 times
IMHO

Plasma is cheaper, no motion effects, better blacks for movies and Bluray, but is more expensive electricity wise.

LCD is great in bright rooms.

I have 5-TV's -all plasma.

Main TV: 60" Pioneer Elite plasma, and the rest are made by Panasonic Viera plasmas.

Good luck!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 AM

288 posts, read 494,696 times
Really depends on your room and what your using it for.

All the pro's that sellshomes said above are accurate. The cons are it has a glass front panel which makes glare more prevalent, but not a huge issue unless your in a room with LOTS of natural light. Also, burn-in is still prevalent if you use your TV hooked up to a computer...not nearly as bad as early gen plasma, but it still exists. I have a 50" Samsung plasma and LOVE IT TO DEATH, but I understand the pro's and con's.

For most people, if your budget allows, I would say get an LED LCD TV. They are thinner, brighter, lighter, and consumer much less energy. Not all LED TV's are created equal though, since some use Edge-lit LED and some use Back-lit LED. The Edge lit are cheaper to produce, and better then standard CCFL LCD TV's (standard LCD for sake of argument) since they are brighter and produce better blacks. However, a true back-lit (sometimes called locally dimming) LED are even better....blacker blacks, better viewing angles, and a brighter overall screen.

One last thing to consider: all LCD TV's, including LED LCD, do suffer from worse viewing angles compared to Plasma sets, but unless you plan on seeing the TV at some ridiculous angle, you should be fine. Example, on my Samsung plasma, I can still see the screen with perfect clarity even if I'm down the hall looking at it nearly right at its side. My Samsung LED LCD, not going to happen...but thats an extreme example.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Plasma, hands down

Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Plasma, hands down
It's kind of odd ... most people have been directing me to LED or LCD.

Why would you consider plasma better?

And thank you to everyone giving their opinion.
I really appreciate it ... just trying to weigh all the pros and cons and go into the purchase with as much knowledge as I can have.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Every house I've owned since buying an HDTV has had a lot of windows in the same room the TV is in, so I went with LCD and never regretted it. There's just too much glare for a plasma.

IMO you're best off buying one online. Shipping is often free.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Newegg has great prices for all kinds of stuff too....

We only have one flat screen, it is in our bedroom a little 19" but we went with the LCD, the wife loves it....

Plasma is too hot, too heavy and uses too much electricity for my likings....

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 AM

139 posts, read 375,961 times
Whichever you choose, ensure you get the HD package from your cable/dish provider. It'll cost you $10 extra a month, but it is WEEEELLLLLL worth it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM

105 posts, read 287,096 times
As others have stated, each type of TV has its place. Even though owning a Plasma TV would have its benefits for me, the cons of excess energy usage and possible burn-in were too much of a negative for me.

I currently own a 55" Sony KDL55ex720 (LED) that has minimal clouding with an overall very good picture. My primary is a 65" LG 65LW6500 (LED) which has gotten very good reviews online. The biggest downfall of this tv is the glare that occasionally occurs depending on the lighting. I usually just minimize the lighting behind me to reduce or eliminate any glare.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev4heels View Post
Whichever you choose, ensure you get the HD package from your cable/dish provider. It'll cost you $10 extra a month, but it is WEEEELLLLLL worth it.

Or drop the cable/satellite, save money AND get TRUE HDTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area