Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Totally confused here -- how do the folks who live in Mount Pleasant get blamed for On the Border losing their spot. Do we even know if the landlord lives in Mount Pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesmom View Post
....they want an upscale steak house in its place. It's apparently not upscale enough for Mt. Pleasant....

For the confused .. this is what I was referring to.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Pablanos on Rivers Ave ... TRUST me on this one

On topic : You all act surprised .. this is Mt. Pleasant we are talking about. They are too good for a little Mexican restaurant (we don't want THOSE people) .. no big box stores (we don't want THOSE people either) .. and SURE as heck don't want a Blockbuster (THOSE people might rent inappropriate material).

((Disclaimer for the above statement : 'they' refers to any A-typical Mt. Pleasant type that feels they are too good for middle or lower class people and establishments and in no way shape or form is meant as an insult to every single person living in Mt. Pleasant .. if you are not 'they' then don't be offended))
Be careful you are starting to sound like seabass.....

Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Be careful you are starting to sound like seabass.....

LOL .. that thought actually crossed my mind when I typed it ... LMAO.

But I'm only drawing on facts and recent history of consistent behavior and attitudes of some Mt. Pleasant residents who think their #$%& don't stink and think they are above certain others.

((Ref dirty yard jailing, anti- big box store hubbub et al coupled with the OP's reference))

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesmom View Post
After taking my grandson to the Aquarium, we headed to Mt. Pleasant for On the Border for some lunch. Imagine our surprise to see a note on the door, that today is the last day they will be open. And even more surprising (although maybe not to some on this board), we were told the landlord wants them out....they want an upscale steak house in its place. It's apparently not upscale enough for Mt. Pleasant.....

Except for the restaurants that are operated by "Sal", we now have no reason to go to Mt. Pleasant for lunch/dinner. Such a shame......
Maybe they want it gone because their food quality is inconsistent, the restaurant is always empty, and their customer service is sub-par. There are so many restaurant choices I wasn't hoping that On The Border would close, but I am certainly not crying in my coffee over the loss.
I am curious about who told you the landlord wanted them out because they wanted to put something more upscale in their place? I heard a very different story about the reason for this closing. I'm not sharing because I can't verify it, but it seems like there are lots of "theories" about the reason for the closing.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Maybe they want it gone because their food quality is inconsistent, the restaurant is always empty, and their customer service is sub-par. There are so many restaurant choices I wasn't hoping that On The Border would close, but I am certainly not crying in my coffee over the loss.
I am curious about who told you the landlord wanted them out because they wanted to put something more upscale in their place? I heard a very different story about the reason for this closing. I'm not sharing because I can't verify it, but it seems like there are lots of "theories" about the reason for the losing.
Just for the sake of argument .. as long as they pay their rent .. what does the land lord care?

Or does a lack of paying rent (due to slow business) have something to do with your theory/what you heard? You don't have to say anything and I respect you not saying something that you cannot confirm.

I just hate for the area to lose ANY decent Mexican restaurant because there are so few good ones to begin with.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Just for the sake of argument .. as long as they pay their rent .. what does the land lord care? Well, for the sake of arguement, if the landlord in question owns the entire shopping development it would be in his/her best interest to bring in a more popular restaurant in the hopes that restaurant patrons will come to shop as well. The busier all the businesses are in Town Center the more rent can be charged for individual locations.

I just hate for the area to lose ANY decent Mexican restaurant because there are so few good ones to begin with.
I guess I'm biased because I originally come from a world where On The Border never would have been listed as a "decent" Mexican restaurant to begin with. When I want Mexican food I go all the way out to Ashley Phosphate since Los Reyes is the only place I have found so far that is decent. I will be trying the other places mentioned in this thread though. I agree with the other poster, what is the DEAL with that cheese wiz garbage everyone seems to use out here. Ugh!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm biased because I originally come from a world where On The Border never would have been listed as a "decent" Mexican restaurant to begin with. When I want Mexican food I go all the way out to Ashley Phosphate since Los Reyes is the only place I have found so far that is decent. I will be trying the other places mentioned in this thread though. I agree with the other poster, what is the DEAL with that cheese wiz garbage everyone seems to use out here. Ugh!
Agreed. Being from New Mexico it is hard to find a decent Mexican place around here.

We like to go to Los Reyes also but to me Pablanos is just a notch above Los Reyes (not by much mind you).

Have you tried Pablanos yet? Because I would prefer Pablanos over Los Reyes ... and both are very good (dare I say the best two in the metro area)

Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Have you tried Pablanos yet? Because I would prefer Pablanos over Los Reyes ... and both are very good (dare I say the best two in the metro area)
Nope, but I sure will be checking it out based on your recommendation. Since you are suggesting good places to eat, what's the best restaurant to eat at down off Park Circle, if you know? I want to meet my husband for lunch, and I can only eat at Bucca's so many times, so I'm looking for other places near Rhett that serve yummy food.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Nope, but I sure will be checking it out based on your recommendation. Since you are suggesting good places to eat, what's the best restaurant to eat at down off Park Circle, if you know? I want to meet my husband for lunch, and I can only eat at Bucca's so many times, so I'm looking for other places near Rhett that serve yummy food.
EVO is really good .. But I think I prefer The Barbecue Joint for lunch. Id say Aunt Beas but it just closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area