Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Something flowering would be cool I suppose. My mom wants to buy and plant a tree in our yard, for her grandson. My great grandmother bought apple trees for my brothers. My mom is just looking to kind of continue the tradition.

I of course want low maintenance for the most part.
There's some obvious like Magnolias that would do well and also have the added bonus of being an evergreen. The foliage makes for a very nice Christmas display as well.

Then, if you're looking for some color when nothing else is coloring, you have Camellias. The added bonus that Charleston was the entryway for Camellias into America. The oldest in the country can be seen over at Middleton Plantation.

Some standard ornamentals that you see around and grow quickly are Redbuds (early spring bloomer) and Crape Myrtles.

A tree that I find interesting and ticks a few boxes is a Saucer Magnolia. Small tree but quite an impact. I can ask my husband the best place to buy them in terms of quality and price, if you want.

Magnolia × soulangeana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Bradford Pear trees are hearty, easy to grow, grow to a nice size but don't take over your yard, and produce beautiful flowers in the Spring. I have several in my yard that I planted 10 years ago and they continue to bloom every March or April, then stay green the rest of the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Bradford Pear trees are hearty, easy to grow, grow to a nice size but don't take over your yard, and produce beautiful flowers in the Spring. I have several in my yard that I planted 10 years ago and they continue to bloom every March or April, then stay green the rest of the Spring, Summer, and Fall.
I'm not a big fan of bradford pears.

If they aren't pruned regularly, their over abundance of branches and leaves can become too heavy and burdensome and cause the weaker wood to split fairly easily.

And when I say over abundance of leaves, I mean OVERABUNDANCE of leaves. I've never seen a tree with so many leave for so small a size.

They became popular in the area because they grow fast and so it was a great addition to most new construction areas because they had mature trees quickly.

And to be honest .. I think the flowers STINK .. literally.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
The Bradford pear flower stinks -- like garbage. They do have issues as they age. Saucer Magnolia is a good 'ornamental' tree. Spring display is spectacular. Red buds and Dogwoods have lovely blooms. Magnolias are wonderful but they shed leaves like crazy -- some folks don't like that. Ginkgo has a beautiful yellow display in the fall. Crepe Myrtles are lovely...and plentiful. They are many varieties and you can add one of the less popular varieties to add some interest. Just don't commit crepe murder. Google Crepe myrtle murder and you will see what I mean. This kind of drastic pruning weakens the tree and makes it lose it's natural glory. Camelias add a show to the garden when it needs it most -- winter/early spring -- and again many varieties. Many are more shrub like than tree like. They aren't fussy but you need to feed them......more so than most trees.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Well, to each his own..... I have an acre, so the trees are not close to the house at all...and I think they are beautiful. Love my Bradford Pears.
I like dogwoods too, but have had no success getting them to live past 3 years here.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I rarely see bradford pears last more than 25 years. They get too top heavy and entire branches start to let go.

Are pecans any good here? Not this year, but maybe next year I'd like to plant a couple of larger ones so we won't have to wait as long before they're productive.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I rarely see bradford pears last more than 25 years. They get too top heavy and entire branches start to let go.

Are pecans any good here? Not this year, but maybe next year I'd like to plant a couple of larger ones so we won't have to wait as long before they're productive.
Yes. They seem to do quite well in this area.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
In Cincinnati, we found that 15 years is the best you'll get for a healthy Bradford Pear -- then it's time to go.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
The saucer magnolia, what kind of shade/light does it need? What kind of ground it does look nice.

Doesn't have to be a big massive tree, but something that is more then a bush.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The saucer magnolia, what kind of shade/light does it need? What kind of ground it does look nice.

Doesn't have to be a big massive tree, but something that is more then a bush.
I'll quote Clemson Extension since they are a great source. Basically, it's an ornamental, so it won't be a huge tree, can plant in your yard somewhere not too shady and tolerate most soil.

Quote:
Saucer magnolia, a hybrid, is usually a large, spreading shrub or small, low-branched tree with wide spreading branches. It will grow 20 to 30 feet tall and wide. It is deciduous.

Growth Rate: It has a medium growth rate (about 1 foot per year).

Ornamental Features: It is valued most for its early display of flowers. The large white flowers (5 to 10 inches) shaded with pink and purple open in March and April (possibly February along the coast) before the leaves appear. These early blooms can be damaged by early frost. Late-blooming cultivars are available, although the flowers may not be as showy. Leaves are medium green on upper and lower sides. They show little color change in fall.

Landscape Use: This shrub/tree is an excellent selection as a specimen, container plant and espalier. It works well in groupings.

Although it prefers full sun, it tolerates partial shade. As with star magnolia, avoid planting this tree in southern exposures, as bloom will occur earlier. Ideal soil conditions are as previously noted. This tree tolerates occasional wet soil and moderate droughts.

Prune drooping branches if located near a patio or walkway. To increase canopy density and flowering, prune aggressive branches after flowering.

Problems: Saucer magnolias are generally pest-free. They may be troubled by various types of scales, which can infest twigs and leaves. They are also subject to leaf spot.

Cultivars:

'Brozzonii' - A large plant (25 to 30 feet tall) with large white flowers, lavender-pink at the base. A late bloomer. May not be as fragrant.
'Grace McDade' - This plant has a loose, shrubby habit. Flowers are large, white inside and lavender-pink outside.
'Lennei' - This stiff, broad shrub has huge flowers, white inside with dark purplish-magenta outside. It flowers late, and usually sporadically into the summer. The leaves are larger than most.
'Rustica Rubra' - This is possibly a seedling of 'Lennei,' but is a larger and looser shrub. Flowers are rose-red with white inside.
'San Jose' - This is an early bloomer with large, fragrant, rosy purple flowers. A vigorous grower.
'Speciosa' - This late-flowering, dense tree has white blooms with flushed purple at the base.
'Verbanica' - This is a slow-growing late bloomer. Flowers are rose pink outside, with white at the tips. Young plant blooms profusely.
HGIC 1015 Magnolia : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area