Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from N.Y.C and am wildly enamored of this state and would prefer to be as coastal and secluded as possible,and be able to have a sucessful business. I've had my own studios and also have worked freelance,as I do now and probably prefer doing the same once I'm down there in low country. See, I'm almost there by the sound of it. I want to run like Forest and go shrimping and kayaking and all the south especially the islands there have so beautifully provided. The question is more "what can I give back to this community,and where is the interest"?I will provide the interest once i get my feet in the door. But what door?I really want to settle somewhere and the South,mainly this state attracts me for many reasons,even though I'm not a big fan of the heat,I'll get over it or with it in time I'm sure.The closer to the coast the better and I will travel. The traffic CANNOT be worse than the insanity of the city and its surrounding boroughs,where I hail from. My island where I live and was born was once filled with forests,marshes,wetlands and hills and fishing was the essence of the island. Needless to say, the farmlands are gone and the pop. has exploded and I am ready to make the move to a saner space,knowing that problems exist everywhere,these conditions aren't for me. I welcome your state and I hope it welcomes me and I need all the advice I can get. Much thanks for your consideration.Remember I am a yoga and pilates teacher,as well as aromatherapist so I need work in organizations that incorporate these specialties. I've have also done work with corporations where I come to there businesses on lunch hours and provide staff with these 1hr practices that are way beneficial to the workplace.That means some travel and I'm willing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,527 times
Going out on a limb here--This is the South. Here the first question you'll be asked, "Where ya come from?" The answer is not meant to be what town, but who are your people e.g. your family Yes, the South is friendly but we, Southerns become a whole lot friendly when we can make a connection with you (something like "hey, my second cousin visited NYC once).

All that to say, if I were currently an independent contractor/self-employed and were contemplating a big move, I'd look for a business in the area you hope to move and try to get hired on there. Get some experience; build up a clientele. It will be a whole lot easier to tell your clients your opening your own business than to open your business first and try to find clients.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
Many people have said it on this board before........line up your employment **before** moving here.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Many people have said it on this board before........line up your employment **before** moving here.
Truer words never spoken! That applies to any move. Unless you are independently wealthy or have money saved up to live on for a year or two in case you can't find a job or clients, I would stay put until you have that employment "detail" squared away.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
Default Thanks for the input

Yes,I get what you're saying and of coarse it makes sense. I am financially secure enough to live for a few years without stressing. I am just mainly wondering about work. I suppose there are enough fitness centers to work in till those clients come,although the more I think about it the more i want to continue freelance. It allows me to work with seniors,disabled,children with special needs,and others.The asking about " who am I,and where do y'all hail from"?,I probably know enough people that either have houses there or would know people up here. It IS a small world and I have met and known a great number of people in my life.Two people I work with also live in Myrtle Beach.Another in St. Helena Island.The fear is selling my home here and regretting it.I am not used to feeling this confused,but since I lost my family it has awakened these doubts. They knew I was over the city and wanted quiet and serenity.If I want culture I'll fly to Europe OR get to know the actual citizens and their lives.I am just looking for a place that feels like me,and its not here if I can help it. Love things about NY,but I can leave also.Is it tranqil and beautful enough and are the people refined and civil for the most part?Manners and politeness are important to me,even if it belies the true nature,I don't want the crude,low-brow nastiness that I am experiencing in my own town.I like neighbors to look out for one another and care about their environment instead of littering,fighting over parking spaces and being generally selfish. As I listen to myself I want to laugh,as possibly these places are non-existant. But I have hope,and understand why people want to know who you are and where you come from,its not unreasonable at all!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,527 times
OP~
How long has it been since you lost your last loved one? It's recommended not to make any big decisions 6-12 months after a life-altering event.

So here's an idea--why not pack a bag or two and come visit for a month or two? How 'bout a "snowbird rental" (January-March or April)? You could test out living in the South without a huge commitment. A short-term visit would allow you to investigate job opportunities, etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The Lululemon store here in Charleston has an active website and is very involved in many aspects of fitness and are very community oriented. Friend them on FB or check out their webiste and it might give you a feel for fitness in Charleston. (I'm not with Lululemon -- don't even do yoga yet......) https://www.facebook.com/lululemonCharleston

I find Charleston to be a very fitness oriented community.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,369 times
You will be welcomed here. That is one of the great aspects of living here. I'm from Connecticut and have helped many northerners relocate here. I only know of one unhappy one; and that's only because she's too far away from her grandchildren.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,957 times
I have a girlfriend just like you who wants to move down to Charleston this summer (sounds like almost the exact same story)! She is a yoga instructor and would love to open her own studio. She can rely also on her teaching background of special needs children. She is moving from NH with her 15 yr old daughter.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
If I'm grasping the OP correctly, she isn't wanting to be employed by anyone else. The above rule likely does not apply to that situation...although it is true in many instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area