Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The fleas are from squirrels
That explains it.

I live in a neighborhood with so many oak trees that the sign is a damned acorn...

There's always squirrels around in my neighborhood. Everywhere. Ronin almost caught one the other day. It got chased out of a tree by one of its buddies and ran two feet in front of him. If I hadn't pulled the trigger on the leash to lock it, he'd have had a mouthful of flea ridden tree ratty goodness...

This afternoon, I was walking him and he got very excited very suddenly and started going towards a tree. I figured he wanted to pee in a new spot and gave him some freedom until I saw the dead, almost electrified looking squirrel on the ground under the tree. The look of sadness I got when I pulled him back almost broke my heart but I'd rather not explain to my vet why I let my dog eat a squirrel...

But yes, they are everywhere around here...

Roxanne, I had to laugh a little when I read your story about your dog going head first into a tree. I know it isn't funny but I can see mine doing it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

Roxanne, I had to laugh a little when I read your story about your dog going head first into a tree. I know it isn't funny but I can see mine doing it too.
No worries, I laughed too once I knew he wasn't injured. I love this boy to death but he's not clever at all, so one good thump doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM

20 posts, read 47,232 times
We also use a flea treatment for our pup and supplement with lots of vacuuming and and an occasion "do it yourself" can spray on the carpets. So far all three are doing wonders.
I've read DAWN is a great alternative for pet shampoo as a flea repellent and have even noted a few pedigree breeders using it. Not sure but it's worth a shot.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
The NRDC has a great article (link below) about fleas and pets. They rate popular flea products for "risk level" and give natural alternatives.

GreenPaws Flea and Tick Products Directory | Smarter Living

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
comfortis has been associated with deaths, check it you know where.

diatomaceous earth is what we have started to use after Vectra3D has failed to keep fleas off our dogs. funny enough no ticks so far this year.
in years past ticks have been bad but not fleas. we also live under live oaks and yard is full
of squirrels and one feral cat who I am blaming it all on.
cats are the biggest carriers of fleas.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
comfortis has been associated with deaths, check it you know where.

diatomaceous earth is what we have started to use after Vectra3D has failed to keep fleas off our dogs. funny enough no ticks so far this year.
in years past ticks have been bad but not fleas. we also live under live oaks and yard is full
of squirrels and one feral cat who I am blaming it all on.
cats are the biggest carriers of fleas.
Were you able to find the diatomaceous earth locally? All I could find we're small bottles, and I have a large area. I do know I can order it online, just wondering if you had a local source.

Regarding the dawn, I have heard the same thing. I believe it specifically needs to be the blue dawn since the others have some harmful added ingredients.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,209 times
Something is killing squirrels in my neighborhood. I'm not complaining...much...but it has me curious.

I saw one the other day at the base of a tree that looked electrocuted. The thing is, the tree is not near any power lines and there weren't any exposed cables or anything. I guess it's possible lighting could have hit it, and man I'd have loved to have seen it but other than that I can't figure out what' could have got it.

Ronin found part of what's left of another one along the side walk on our morning walk either this morning or yesterday (I don't remember)

This afternoon, I saw another dead one in the road. This could have been squirrel vs car.

It's just weird, the only one to show any signs of anything was the one on the sidewalk. None of the others looked like they'd been attacked or scavenged or anything. The fried one is still there too-untouched by the turkey vultures (which are around).

Anyone heard anything about a squirrel plague?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 PM

859 posts, read 1,362,925 times
@Technogeek - It's possible someone in the neighborhood put out rat poison and the squirrels got into it. Please, be careful not to let your dogs even mouth a dead squirrel or any animal.

Flea/heartworm combo - we started using the new Trifexis which is both flea and heartworm. It's a pill, so no messy trying to treat the skin area. So far it's been great for the fleas, and it certainly is easier to just give 1 pill a month instead of dragging out the skin capsules and try and remember the heartworm pill! It looks expensive, but if you add up the cost of flea treatment and heartworm, it's actually a little cheaper. We order it from Drs. Foster and Smith on line. You do need a prescription, but they will send your vet a request for the Rx.

Our vet isn't recommending Frontline at all anymore - he said he's had too many people say it failed - fleas built up immunity, maybe?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,334,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Were you able to find the diatomaceous earth locally? All I could find we're small bottles, and I have a large area. I do know I can order it online, just wondering if you had a local source.

Regarding the dawn, I have heard the same thing. I believe it specifically needs to be the blue dawn since the others have some harmful added ingredients.
Lowes caries it in their pool department in 30lb bags.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
For my Cairn terrier I use a once-a-month Sentinel tablet that makes fleas sterile and prevents tapeworm, heart worm, etc, and if and when I see a flea or two on him I put Advantix on the back of his neck. I go over him with a fine tooth comb at least every other day and haven't noticed it being a bad year, although I've heard it is. That would be because of the abnormally warm winter we had and the rain we've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area