Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 AM

209 posts, read 534,169 times

Advertisements

I would caution against saying that schools don't matter because your children are younger and/or you might homeschool. You never know what the next 3 or 4 years will bring to the economy, your family's situation, or your feelings about homeschooling when you've got several kids. It can change. My best advice is to pick a place that gives you good schools (ok, in SC that would be "okay" schools), the right house/lot for your family, and the convenience of schools/work/shopping/entertainment within an easy drive. If you choose not to avail yourself of those things, that's fine. But you'll have an easier time renting out or selling your home to other people that DO find those things important.

I have a friend who thought that buying in a certain school district matter because her twins were 6 months old at the time and she was sure they'd move into the "right" school district by the time they started kindergarten. Flash forward 5 years and her kiddos are starting kindergarten this morning in a private school to the tune of $800+/month because they are underwater on their house and the school they are zoned for is not so hot. The economy was very different in 2007 when they bought (due to a job transfer) that it is now in 2012.

I highly doubt you will find a 1/2 acre lot at your price point. We spent about $330k and were barely able to find a 1/4 acre lot. sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
I highly doubt you will find a 1/2 acre lot at your price point. We spent about $330k and were barely able to find a 1/4 acre lot. sigh.
I have to agree; we've been looking for years. Large lots are just not there at that price, esp w/new construction. The lots just keep getting smaller and smaller. Everything is bumper to bumper living down there. Half acre lots will be listed for what you want to pay for a home.

That's the bad news about this area. Large private lots are only available for the rich folks. An even those .5 acre lots aren't very desireable.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
I have a handful of lots over in the retreat at beresford that are .5 up to .8 acres. Some that even overlook a saltwater pond that holds fish from the flood tides we get here. They should land in the high 200's to mid 300's after all the smoke clears etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,431 times
Oh, I totally agree about the schools. I was trying to say that we don't want to base our decision *solely* on the school district, but there are quite a few reasons which you mentioned (and I thought I did as well) why we should at least take the school district into account.

I haven't seen anything bigger than 1/4 acre in any price range in the area! Well, I found a few with enormous homes on them, but I definitely got the feeling that land is hard to come by.

I appreciate the input in this thread. It's looking less like we'll end up in the Charleston area for the near future, but I'll definitely be back for advice if things change

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I have to agree; we've been looking for years. Large lots are just not there at that price, esp w/new construction. The lots just keep getting smaller and smaller. Everything is bumper to bumper living down there. Half acre lots will be listed for what you want to pay for a home.

That's the bad news about this area. Large private lots are only available for the rich folks. An even those .5 acre lots aren't very desireable.
I have a 3/4 acre lot in Summerville in an older established subdivision without an HOA, we love it here....

Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
We have a 1/2 acre lot in Summerville in an older established subdivision with an HOA. We love it here...
(Note the word "older"...which is why it's a 1/2 acre...)

Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
What is your price range? I live in Summerville and there are plenty houses with good sized lots.
Foster

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
Default Large lots

What is your price range. I live in Summerville and there are plenty of houses for sale with large lots.
Foster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area