Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM

12 posts, read 31,304 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband, two small children (both under 2 years) and I will be moving to the Charleston area temporarily for a work project in North Charleston. We were wondering if any of you could offer advice about which area to rent. We'd like to be in a condo or house in a safe area that isn't too far from downtown and beaches. It seems (from reading online) that West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island would be good choices for us. Could you please give your opinions on each one? It seems like West Ashley is much less expensive than Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island. Is Daniel Island worth the price? How is traffic going from West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island to North Charleston? We would be in the area for 1-2 years. If there's anything else you'd like to add or think I should know, please feel free to add!

My husband also just mentioned Summerville...what do you think about that? Terrible traffic to North Charleston?

We really appreciate any help you all have to offer with this!

Last edited by kd0220; 10-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: More information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Daniel Island is certainly idyllic. Daniel Island would put you closer to N. Charleston, and is certainly gorgeous. You'd be about 20 minutes from the beaches. Mount Pleasant would put you 10 minutes or less to IOP/Sullivan's Island beaches, and anywhere from 5-20 minutes from downtown, depending on which part of M.t P. you're looking at. West Ashley travel time will be somewhat similar, but you're looking at Folly beach, being the closest.

It'll just come down to where in N. Charleston the project is located, you budget and your desired commute time.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 31,304 times
Default Thanks!

My husband will be at Boeing and we'd like to keep the commute time to 30 minutes (45 max). We'd like to keep rent $1800 or less.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
$1800.00 will get you a really nice house in Summerville.....

Commute to Boeing would be about 30 minutes, without a major traffic jam...

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
$1800 could get you a nice home in Mount Pleasant, West Ashley as well, or a nice townhome/condo on Daniel Island. Most would likely be within 30 minutes of Boeing, especially Daniel Island.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,465 times
I would go with Daniel Island for sure! Traffic in this area is all messed up and the drive from Summerville (which is a nice place)to Boeing can be awful (easily 45 minutes from most places there). 17 in Mount Pleasant is a mess and it you live there you have to go on it for most stores etc. As a newcomer I found Mt. P (with the construction) very hard to navigate.
Daniel island is beautiful, safe, tons of kids, great parks, easy to navigate, a overall great place to live! Plus, it will be an easy commute for your husband. You can't go wrong there as far as location, low crime rate, kid friendly etc. but I'm not familiar with their too rental market. I have a friend that rents a furnished place there (it includes cable, utilities, everything) for $2300 a month so I suspect unfurnished would be close to your price range.
Isle of the Palms is great too and an easy commute as well but traffic may be a problem in the summers (depending on his shift).
Another thing to know is that there are pockets of not so great scattered around the Charleston area. You don't have to worry about any of that on Daniel Island.
A couple other tips I have for you are 1) don't rent a place unless you see it for yourself. We rented off the internet (looked like Pottery Barn) and turned out to be a roach and mold infested place.
2) When you do rent make sure you see the actual unit they are going to put you in before you sign a lease
We relocated here as well and my husband does the same commute. The weather here is great and so are the majority of the people. I think you and your family will love it here. Best wishes to you all!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0220 View Post
Hi,

My husband, two small children (both under 2 years) and I will be moving to the Charleston area temporarily for a work project in North Charleston. We were wondering if any of you could offer advice about which area to rent. We'd like to be in a condo or house in a safe area that isn't too far from downtown and beaches. It seems (from reading online) that West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island would be good choices for us. Could you please give your opinions on each one? It seems like West Ashley is much less expensive than Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island. Is Daniel Island worth the price? How is traffic going from West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island to North Charleston? We would be in the area for 1-2 years. If there's anything else you'd like to add or think I should know, please feel free to add!

My husband also just mentioned Summerville...what do you think about that? Terrible traffic to North Charleston?

We really appreciate any help you all have to offer with this!

With two kids not in school then you might consider some of the nicer/less pricey apartment complexes off of Dorchester Road in North Charleston, Summerville, etc versus the more pricey Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant.

Were you settling down here, kids in school, etc. then I would suggest Mount Pleasant but renting, no kids in school, short term stay, then keep expenses reasonable and be close to Boeing.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
With two kids not in school then you might consider some of the nicer/less pricey apartment complexes off of Dorchester Road in North Charleston, Summerville, etc versus the more pricey Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant.

Were you settling down here, kids in school, etc. then I would suggest Mount Pleasant but renting, no kids in school, short term stay, then keep expenses reasonable and be close to Boeing.
And what would be wrong with settling down with kids in school in Summerville or the nicer parts of N. Charleston (also DD2 school)? It is still cheaper and the schools are just as good if not better(definitely better than DI schools in Berkeley County)......

Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
And what would be wrong with settling down with kids in school in Summerville or the nicer parts of N. Charleston (also DD2 school)? It is still cheaper and the schools are just as good if not better(definitely better than DI schools in Berkeley County)......
That was not what the OP was asking about.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
We are carrying this off topic, but I wonder what numbers you are looking at to come up with your facts? According to the SC state report cards for public schools, the DI elementary and middle schools are way ahead of the others you are referring to.

Not trying to argue, but the report cards say something different than what you are saying...at least the "summery" reports do. I have not, and don't plan to, break down categories in order to itemize what schools excel where...but the summery reports list the DI schools above the others you mention.

Sorry for the highjack.

I personally would choose MtP or DI. I think you'd enjoy your time here better...I know I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area