Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM

25 posts, read 33,355 times

Advertisements

I know this is a general question but can anyone explain to me how the medical insurance works through employment? Here in Ireland we pay for our own medical insurance. It has nothing to do with the employer and it is also not as necessary to have cover here as it is in the US. My husband is a US Citizen and looking for work currently so what should we be looking out for in terms of benefits? Does the employer cover 100 per cent of the employees medical insurance but the rest of the family covers their own? Or do they pay a certain percentage of the family's insurance? If so what would be a typical amount per month say for a family of four to pay for their insurance. Also I have a pre existing condition, would this be a problem? As I said I know its a very general question but we really have no clue what to expect so any info is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,214 times
There is no "typical" amount to pay for employer-provided health/medical insurance. Every company offers different plans, and plans are different from each other. Now, with ObamaCare, things are going to be even more complicated. Again, health/medical plans differ from one to the other regarding pre-existing conditions, too. Sorry, but there is just no way to really answer your questions other than what I've written here.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
It really depends on the company and their plan. At my last job it was $15 per pay period for single and $45 for plus one. That company just changed their plan and now it costs $26 per pay period for single and, I believe, $160 for family. At my current job the company pays 100% for single, and it will cost the employee $400 per pay for family if they want family coverage.

The plans vary also. At my last job I had and HRA. The company covered the first $1,000, I paid the next $3,500, and then it was covered at 100%. I had the plus one there. At my current job I have and HSA. There is a $2,000 deductible, then everything is covered at 90%, once an out of pocket maximum of $4,000 is reached, everything is covered 100%. My company puts in $1,200 per year into my HSA account. There are also traditional plans where you pay a co-pay (the plan at my work has a $25 co-pay), 80% of whatever it is is covered (you pay 20%), and there is an out of pocket maximum of around $4,000.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,214 times
Just like I said, every company has it's own plan, and all plans are different. MINIcoop's company is just one example.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM

25 posts, read 33,355 times
Thanks for the info, exactly what I am looking for, just examples. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area