Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

We just booked another trip to MP over Labor Day weekend, so very short. But we know the area enough now, and our focus will be on MP - and a short period on Johns Island (will save that for another post).

We'll see the subdivisions again on our "short list" in more detail - Carol Oaks (farther North than we want to be but we liked it - downside is really small yards so not sure it's doable), Belle Hall, Sweetgrass, Oakhaven, and Waters Edge.

Then we'll Snee Farm, Rivertowne CC and Brickyard again (all likely out of our price range but we don't know as we don't know exactly what our hosue will sell for so could be doable).

We'll drive "up North" to see Park West. From following the MLS, it seems the areas we likely can afford are The Village, Wellesley, and Arlington.

We'll see the new Enclave at Gregorie Ferry, and Wexford Park (if we can find it).

We'll check out The Groves - any other "closer in" neighborhoods like that?

Horlbeck Creek and Queens Row each had one house that was possibly in our range - are these worth seeing? What about Dunes West? Although we tried to get in a couple visits ago, and they wouldn't let us because we didn't have a "pass". Not sure it's in our price range anyway. We're not "gated" community types but we want to see as much as we can.

Are any others that we shouldn't miss? Budget up to 350K, single family only, 3 BR/2BA, 1,600 - 2,000 sf, small yard for the dog - don't care about amenities (pool, tennis, etc. ) Walking trails or sidewalks and green space would be nice, but not a deal breaker if not.

Maybe we'll take Michael NYC's suggestion with the camcorder. We don't have one - are they reasonable to buy? Michael, what kind do you have? I have a little hand-held one, but I don't think it would work for this.

Also, is there anything else we should see while there? We'll miss the farmers market unfortunately. Any parks or dog parks or rec centers we should pop into just so we know what MP offers? We won't have time to do the "touristy" things like visit the Yorktown or Boone Hall or the Plantations this trip:-(.

We will, as last time, eat dinner at the Old Village Post House where we stay - just more relaxing to sit out in the courtyard after a long day of driving, be able to split a bottle of wine, not worry about driving and then just head upstairs to bed - not that we drink too much or anything - LOL - just easier.

Would love a couple of suggestions for lunch though. We arrive Sat, will be there Sun, and head home Mon before lunch, so just 2 places.

So far we've eaten at Paige's Okra Grill, Brixx at Belle Hall (great salads), Mustard Seed, Waters Edge, Laura Albert (DI). We like local places that aren't fancy, just have good food.

Time is short, so trying to plan well..... Can't wait to come back!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 AM

142 posts, read 270,154 times
Try Charleston's Cafe in Mt. P for brunch.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 AM

103 posts, read 218,005 times
FYI there is an entrance to Wexford on the right, off of 17 (heading North) after the IOP connector but before Boone Hall Farms Market. It is just a dirt road entrance at this time, but thats where it is. I passed it the other day and thought of you.

Good luck in your hunt!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 AM

Thx ajpond! So it sounds like nothing is built yet. But we'll be able to see location at least. Good to know.

Adamj2281 - just looked at the menu for Charleston's Cafe - Oh my! Yummy!!!! Will we need reservations for lunch seeing it's Labor Day weekend?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM

OK, just checked Robynn's suggestion for Pawley's Front Porch, as I love a good burger. It's in Belle Hall Shopping Ctr, looks like, and we'll be over that way, so looks like we have 2 great places for lunch!

Thanks all.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj2281 View Post
Try Charleston's Cafe in Mt. P for brunch.
Charleston Cafe is the one place we continually go back to.
We get our ticket punched... they give you a ticket... buy 10 and then get 1 free and we used 2 tickets already... but go simply because it is nice, relaxed and always a different item and good one to try.
Only disappointment is the 'chippers' or whatever they are called.......... hey the side of shippers are potato chips come on.. stop listing them as chippers like they are something different other than plain ol' potato chips

But definitely we like it there and especially the sweet potato corn muffins or again what ever they are called.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
/Maybe we'll take Michael NYC's suggestion with the camcorder. We don't have one - are they reasonable to buy? Michael, what kind do you have? I have a little hand-held one, but I don't think it would work for this./
Gee good I read it... then saw you addressed me.......

Camcorders these days aka video recorders are a no brainer.. totally reasonable to purchase.. I would say $100-$200 easily you get a very good one. But you already have one... you said you have a lil hand held one....... that is what I used.......... I do not have a camcorder you might be thinking of... like you see at news reports or football games etc. It is a simply SONY video camera.

Put sand in a plastic baggy, doubled the baggy in case it rips and spit on the dashboard and spit on one side of the plastic bag, smacked it down and viola it holds and the weigh of the camera simply held it all in place.

Get the right angle... whether you want to shoot straight ahead or on an angle... depends where you arte shooting.

Advice....... shoot straight ahead through the front window...... if you shoot from a side window or too much of an angle from the front windshield the background shoots by and not a good image. Simply try it at home first in your neighborhood, shoot different angles and play back....... simple to figure out.

And TALK........... talk all through the tape......... describe where you are... etc etc
mention all you see......... mention all you see that the camera might not pick up

THEN you have a remembrance of all you visited.

I came back with hours of tape for the Mrs to look over.
Shot driving up and down 17, Towne Center, Palmetto State Park, Shopping Centers... but mainly each neighborhood I ventured into......... as well as driving through Mathis Ferry Rd, Rifle Range, Long Point roads and each neighborhood in them. Documented it all.

Have fun and enjoy it

Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Thank you! We will. So excited to be going back down, thinking this is all getting closer.

As I posted on another thread, I think you should post your videos, MichaelNYC!

Wondering - did you know your house was a short sale when you looked at it, or did you find out after you saw it. Just wondering - I should ask my realtor - if there is a public database of short sales and foreclosures.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
I third Charleston's Cafe. I do like the chippers. Some are soft, and some are like potato chips. Another place I like is Mama Brown's. It is on Rte 17 near 41. They have good, reasonable priced southern food. Sometimes we get it for takeout, although we haven't in a long time. It is the type of place where you get throw away plates and use plastic utensils.

We don't go back to the same restaurants over and over because there are so many in the area. It would take years to try them all!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thank you! We will. So excited to be going back down, thinking this is all getting closer.

As I posted on another thread, I think you should post your videos, MichaelNYC!

Wondering - did you know your house was a short sale when you looked at it, or did you find out after you saw it. Just wondering - I should ask my realtor - if there is a public database of short sales and foreclosures.
Houses listed as Short Sale are stated in the listings.
You know up front.

Was funny... the Mrs found the house and asked the broker about it and he did not remember anything about it..... which was weird cause this was Joe Eddelman.. aka USCJoe on here who passed on (way too soon).. he said.. does not ring a bell. My wife said well then let's see it..... Joe was up for it as well.... so we went and IMMEDIATELY said.... we have a WINNER here.
Had everything, missed nothing.

Quickly canvased the area we were interested in to see comps in case there were some we would like... and NO OTHER home came close and we even upped our price $100-$200K looking.

Offered and a lil back and forth and drew a line in the sand etc and was accepted.

There was a middle man for the seller.... which caused a lil delay and more back and forth... but he backed out when it was presented to the bank.... he knew what we offered and what he wanted as his share the bank would balk at the offered price to the short sale bank.. so he backed out as I said. Means to me.. we could have come in less a bit........... but not a problem........ we happy

When it was time to appraise the house for the closing it appraised 10% higher than our purchase price and they appraise low.
House right next door sold last year was less appealing and less amenities but it went for $100K higher than ours. We have upside from the start.
Plus while here we did a few things 'we' like... knocked down the white wooden ballisters on the staircase and installed wrought iron and it made TREMENDOUS difference.. I recommend to all... we needed 157 pieces and cost was maybe $1700 and I did the work. For a easy $1700 made the house TONS richer looking and much more appealing as the neighbors all said.. and we did some other stuff blah blah blah....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: