Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 AM

155 posts, read 248,769 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will move to charleston from europe, and I want to buy, asap, a car.
I intend to buy an used car, and I had a look at craiglist, et similar.
I would like to buy a cheap car, just to save the cost of a rental car for the first months.
I saw very nice prices, compared to european prices, but most cars have big mileage, i.e. 150,000 or 200,000 !
It's normal so big mileage ?
To better understand: if I buy a CHEVY TRAILBLAZER 2003 with 200k mileage, at 3,800, or a Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 at 7,999 with 108.000 mileage, it's a bad business ?

Thanks for helping me understand the market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 AM

I go on with some extra questions
How with insurance ? I have in the USA no story at all....
How much would it costs the insurance for a car ?
I'm 51 yo, it depends only on age, or are other matters ?
thanks !

Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
When you move here, do you have a friend or someone who is going to be there to help with the transition at first? Would hate to see you get taken advantage of simply because it's all new. Things like looking for a car would be a great thing to do with someone who already lives here.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
When you move here, do you have a friend or someone who is going to be there to help with the transition at first? Would hate to see you get taken advantage of simply because it's all new. Things like looking for a car would be a great thing to do with someone who already lives here.
This.

Quote:
It's normal so big mileage ?
To better understand: if I buy a CHEVY TRAILBLAZER 2003 with 200k mileage, at 3,800, or a Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 at 7,999 with 108.000 mileage, it's a bad business ?
A lot depends on the actual model (is it a reliable one, or not?) and where the miles came from. Mileage here vs. Europe can largely be explained by how the country travels and where everything is physically located. From here you can drive nearly 3,000 miles to the west and still be in the same country, and you can do it entirely at highway speeds. We put 2,000 miles on our car in two weeks because we wanted to see family in Texas and it was much more economical to drive there and back than to fly. Miles on the highway are much easier on a car than in a city, so with high mileage a lot depends on how they were acquired.

BTW I think the Hyundai is overpriced and the Trailblazer has more miles than I would be comfortable with. AND a friend bought a car from the dealer who posted the ad you saw for the Hyundai, and had had nothing but trouble from it! If you go with Craigslist I would recommend buying from an individual, not a dealer.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
We've bought from CarMax and have been happy with the process. It looks like they do have them in the Charleston area, although we lived in the Charlotte area during our purchase so used the CarMax in Charlotte.

The nice thing about the south is that cars don't face terrible elements like the north so they last longer and look better. Also, driving conditions are sun or rain.....no snow in Charleston so you don't have to worry about purchasing a vehicle that will be good in the snow (unless you are planning on moving).

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
We've bought from CarMax and have been happy with the process. It looks like they do have them in the Charleston area, although we lived in the Charlotte area during our purchase so used the CarMax in Charlotte.

The nice thing about the south is that cars don't face terrible elements like the north so they last longer and look better. Also, driving conditions are sun or rain.....no snow in Charleston so you don't have to worry about purchasing a vehicle that will be good in the snow (unless you are planning on moving).
I also bought my 4Runner from CarMax and was extremely happy with the car, the process, everything.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Carmax is a pure ripoff!! Always marked up thousands above the selling price used. Buy from an private seller when you get here, autotrader is good, as is craigslist. You can easily run the VIN from the car to check the total history. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM

I beg your pardon.... what is the VIN and how can I use it ??

Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Carmax is a pure ripoff!! Always marked up thousands above the selling price used. Buy from an private seller when you get here, autotrader is good, as is craigslist. You can easily run the VIN from the car to check the total history. Good luck.
You can negotiate. You can't go in without being informed, just like any car dealership. I personally wouldn't buy from a private seller, unless it was a sh=t kicker or I knew the person. I like dealerships because of the warranties and services. The nice thing about the internet is how easy it is to research vehicles....so it is much more difficult to get ripped off at dealerships. Plus, there is so much competition and dealerships do have some wiggle room.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
The in laws continue to buy from Carmax, despite the fact that the last 2 or 3 they bought there were lemons. Maybe they'll figure it out someday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area