Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 PM

192 posts, read 409,255 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all.

I'm hoping somebody out there that has been around the area long enough to have dealt with a rat or two can help me out. So, I live pretty close to the water...my neighbors told me when I moved in that yes, there are rats. I had an exterminator come out and put out those big ugly rat boxes. Today I found a...big a$$ mouse or well, yes, I guess it very well could have been a rat (dead).

So, we had a guy come out for termite prevention and he recommended having our entire elevated area screened in with metal netting to prevent rats. I'm scratching my head because I read that a rat can get through an opening 1" or more...how in the world could netting go far enough down into the ground to prevent a rat from burrowing under it? Has anyone ever heard of that type of installation? It just sounds like a lot of work and expense.

Anybody got any good vow-doo rat prevention techniques that I might not know of? I've heard of using mint oil and urinal cakes to give off a repelling odor...

I'm also hoping that my dogs will keep them away...and my lazy cat.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Do you have any bird feeders in your yard? That will bring the rats. I can't image that netting will prevent rats. When we lived up north we had one that burrowed in the ground into our basement. I would hear scratching in the kitchen cabinets under the sink at night. It turned out to be a rat. We put a rat trap in the basement and killed it. Thankfully, we only had one rat.

This might sound weird, but maybe if you pee around the area it keep the rats away. We had a skunk problem up north and I made the other half go pee outside all the time where the skunks were, and it worked. I have also read that coyote urine will keep them away. I am sure you can buy it somewhere.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
This might sound weird, but maybe if you pee around the area it keep the rats away. We had a skunk problem up north and I made the other half go pee outside all the time where the skunks were, and it worked. I have also read that coyote urine will keep them away. I am sure you can buy it somewhere.
actually different urine is available in retail as "cover scents" for hunters. Fox and coon urine are often the types used, and should be available especially now as hunting seasons head under way.

And sprinkling around urine from a bottle may be easier to do then sprinkling around 'yourself' lol

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
If you do have bird feeders and want to keep the rats and squirrels out, mix the bird seed LIBERALLY with cayenne pepper. Birds don't have taste buds, so it won't bother them, but the mammal critters sure don't like it. <evil grin>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area