Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

I heard through a friend who's a local realtor that the FEMA maps for the area were supposed to change soon, however he knew no details. Has anyone else heard anything about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Nope

Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Yup, as of tomorrow, expect a 5% premium increase on your flood insurance, then an annual 25% increase till the amount you pay more closely mirrors your actual risk. There was an article about it in yesterday's P&C, check it out. The whole idea behind this is to get more people at risk to fund the flood insurance program.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Yes see info below from a BLOG I wrote.
In an attempt to salavage the NFIP- National Flood Insurance Program and their 30B deficit congress passed the Biggert Waters Flood Insurance reform Act. This act will affect mnay homeowners and business owners October 1, 2013.
What this means is a bbuyer cannot acquire the flood rate from the seller. This causes Seller market price and the buyer buying capacity to change because the flood isurance rate could go from 1000-6000. With all new flood Insurance applications, Elevation Certificates will be required in A or V zones. This can cost a buyer between $300-700. This rate increase also could affect current policies 10% a year.
Please visit FEMA’s website for more info as this is not all the changes to be aware of.
Many of the affected Charleston properties are not necessarily those located along the beachfront, but are actually situated further back from the ocean or along a river.
One of of the biggest factors would be the structure’s elevation. For example, a home built on stilts would likely have lower rates than a neighboring home that is situated closer to the ground.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Interesting - that's some great information. On all of ours I've acquired new flood policies so I guess they won't be affected so much, if at all. Nothing was grandfathered in. The ones without an elevation cert are based on nonconforming, older construction and the one in Hampton Park Terrace with an elevation cert came in with the living space at 12.6 feet so at least the policy takes that into account.

Funny thing is, I'd always figured I'd look into elevating these structures when foundation maintenance came due and then getting a new elevation cert done. Looks like the break even point for that just shortened a bit. Any idea whether the Charleston BAR would even allow this sort of thing, or whether the feds would require them to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area