Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM

259 posts, read 454,285 times

Advertisements

hey now! Poli Sci grad here from cofc, humanities degrees in general are wonderful in preparing
critical thinking and broadbased knowledge. I have worked in politics,tech,arts. etc

So he is qualified for dozens of jobs outside the highly technical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
hey now! Poli Sci grad here from cofc, humanities degrees in general are wonderful in preparing
critical thinking and broadbased knowledge. I have worked in politics,tech,arts. etc

It's not whether or not he is 'qualified' it's whether or not he can find a job. It can be difficult if you don't have an idea of what you want to do.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post

I have a professional writing degree and I kind of agree with this, a lot of employers really are looking for a broad base of knowledge and they just train you.

The main way to get a job here is to network. This city really is more about who you know than what you know. I know it's that way everywhere, but especially here in Charleston. If all else fails, at least he has the restaurant experience and can do that until he finds something in his field.

There are tons of ladies here in that age range. As far as being hindered by not having your own place... he is 21 and also new in town. If he were 24-25 and living with his parents, that would be a turn off. But just out of college, a lot of us move back in with our parents (I did). It's not a deal breaker with most ladies.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymax17 View Post
Where do the 20 somethings hang out, in Charleston or only at Folley Beach? Maybe we should point him towards Kiawah???
Both my husband and I are 24 and live in West Ashley but will be moving to Mt Pleasant in January. I have never heard of 20-somethings hanging out at Kiawah. That's a beach town where you go to relax, not go partying. Downtown has a lot of nightlife (bars, comedy clubs, restaurants, etc). My husband and I may go downtown twice a month but we go to Mt Pleasant several times a month. Tons of shopping and much more chain restaurants vs downtown (we frequent PF Changs). I can't say much about Folly because I have yet to go there (shocking since I have lived here since January) but IOP is nice with their restaurants and boardwalk area.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
The main way to get a job here is to network. This city really is more about who you know than what you know. I know it's that way everywhere, but especially here in Charleston. If all else fails, at least he has the restaurant experience and can do that until he finds something in his field.
This is so true. My husband is about to get out of the Marines and got his job by networking. Also, he is most likely finishing his degree at The Citadel so that will lead to more job possibilities. The Citadel graduates have it made when they get out into the workforce and the jobs that are offered to them.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

259 posts, read 454,285 times
If he is a typical surfer guy then Folly is the spot to go to = Surf Bar

Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM

83 posts, read 102,902 times
Well it will be nice if that expensive Poly Sci college degree pays off someday. His main interest is international development. I'll be happy if I can keep him closer to home, of course.

I'm already forwarding him pictures of the surf at Folly beach!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Both my husband and I are 24 and live in West Ashley but will be moving to Mt Pleasant in January. I have never heard of 20-somethings hanging out at Kiawah. That's a beach town where you go to relax, not go partying. Downtown has a lot of nightlife (bars, comedy clubs, restaurants, etc). My husband and I may go downtown twice a month but we go to Mt Pleasant several times a month. Tons of shopping and much more chain restaurants vs downtown (we frequent PF Changs). I can't say much about Folly because I have yet to go there (shocking since I have lived here since January) but IOP is nice with their restaurants and boardwalk area.
Kiawah is mostly adults or maybe a nice place for him to work, but not many 20somethings really hang out there.

Downtown is definitely great for hanging out, along with Folly. The Park Circle area in North Charleston and Avondale in West Ashley have some great places too. My husband and I aren't big chain restaurant fans so we don't go to Mt. Pleasant very often... I go there to shop at Town Center. Most all the chain type places are in MTP or North Charleston.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
This is so true. My husband is about to get out of the Marines and got his job by networking. Also, he is most likely finishing his degree at The Citadel so that will lead to more job possibilities. The Citadel graduates have it made when they get out into the workforce and the jobs that are offered to them.
Yep. The Citadel seems pretty scary, at least being in the corps in a military college. But I've heard that the connections and networking there has bonds that are way tighter than a regular 4-year college alumni group would have. I guess because they all went through the crazy first year, that sort of gives them that common bond.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM

83 posts, read 102,902 times
Concerning Kiawah, I was just playfully responding to gentlearts knowing a "pretty young woman" that works there.

And you did give me an idea, I let him know that there are 277 alumni's from his university in Charleston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area