Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

36 posts, read 74,407 times

Advertisements

Our outdoor HVAC unit will need replacement soon. I am looking for:
1) a reliable and reputable HVAC contractor and
2) recommendations for the best brand names for a new unit.

Just from a quick search on the internet it seems Trane, American Standard and Rheem may be the best brands -- wondering what others think. The contractor we have been using for servicing sells Carrier -- which seems to get poor ratings. I also looked online at HVAC replacement services by Home Depot. Has anyone ever used this service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
It's hard to stop a trane....

One of my neighbors is the service manager for Pardee, I use them...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
Southern Air Solutions on John's Island. They came out yesterday (July 4th) when we needed someone to come out for our A/C....and we live in Summerville. Not many other contractors will do that. Their number is: 843-559-0999. They are meticulous in diagnosing your A/C problem, and they are very professional. Highly recommended.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe1234 View Post
Our outdoor HVAC unit will need replacement soon. I am looking for:
1) a reliable and reputable HVAC contractor and
2) recommendations for the best brand names for a new unit.

Just from a quick search on the internet it seems Trane, American Standard and Rheem may be the best brands -- wondering what others think. The contractor we have been using for servicing sells Carrier -- which seems to get poor ratings. I also looked online at HVAC replacement services by Home Depot. Has anyone ever used this service?

MrsBulldog and I are in the same boat ... which is tragic irony in that her dad is an HVAC guy and has been servicing and maintaining our unit. But he is getting older and not able to do what he used to and definitely won't be able to handle installation of a new unit (outside and attic air handler).

So I'll be watching this thread too.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks teal dreamer for recommending southern air solutions. I had put off looking into our hvac issue for a few weeks when our unit stopped working today. I called 3 companies for an estimate. Our regular servicing company said we had a coil leak and needed a new unit, with a starting cost of about 4500. Southern air came by next and found all that was wrong was the capacitor, which was a quick fix for 200 bucks! They were prompt, professional , and honest. I also highly recommend them!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
I'm really glad you called Phillip @ Southern Air Solutions (SAS), adobe! The company is fairly new....run by Phillip (a Clemson grad) and his Dad. I agree with you.......they are AWESOME!! Like I wrote in my earlier post, Phillip came out on July 4th when we had no A/C upstairs. No other contractor was willing to do that. Also, I forgot to mention before that we had had another local contractor come out before SAS came, and the first guy said the problem was something ridiculous. He got the air going for about an hour and then it died again after he left. When Phillip came out, he found the problem (blower motor and capacitor) quickly and came back later to replace the parts after he ordered them. We will definitely be using them again.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Just an update regarding Southern Air Solutions. Over the past year or so, we have been very happy with HVAC services provided by Phillip. However, recently his father came out for what was supposed to be a small job and ended up stepping through the ceiling. He has come by a few times to work on patching it and has done a very poor repair job thus far. I have asked that he hire (or reimburse us for) a professional to repair the damage properly, but he is insisting that he do the repair himself. Unfortunately, he had the nerve to state that one would "need a magnifying glass" to see the damage-- which is not at all true. Moreover, he said that because it was a small job, he would not make any money if he pays a professional to do the ceiling repair.

In providing customer service, I believe one should always try to approach an issue from the customer's viewpoint (Instead of saying "I will not make any money if I pay a professional to fix the problem" one should consider "my customer hired our company to do a small repair and now we have accidentally done damage to their property that needs to be fixed promptly in a professional manner). I am hoping that they do the right thing but am not sure at this point if there will be a satisfactory resolution. Accidents happen, but a true professional would make appropriate amends instead of arguing with the customer. I thought you all should receive fair warning.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM

24 posts, read 36,804 times
What about HVAC annual service contracts? Any suggestions, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area