Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
This is true. The Jump Castles are great but once you wear out on them there's really nothing to do so you're stuck with going to the beach or museums, boat rides, plantations, parks, roller/ice rinks, the Aquarium, fishing/crabbing, Charles Town Landing, baseball games, hockey games, concerts, festivals, carriage/bike tours, water parks, ghost walks, theaters, greenways, the tea farm, Angel Oak.... oops, wait, there's the phone... if I had more time I'd list more things that amount to nothing to do with kids....
Haha so true!

It is SOOOOO boring having the weather so warm that we can toss the football around in shorts in the backyard in December as well. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
You are right it doesn't, very bland....granted people in their 70s may love Charleston. However I can't imagine anyone young and fun wanting to move to such a bland and boring place, nothing to hold my interest there, husband said it looked dreadful and after doing research I have to agree about Charleston being dreadful, not sure what people see in such a place. I'd much rather be doing one of the 1,000 of things myrtle beach has to offer. So much to do here I don't even need to leave my own city, i can vacation here...pretty cool, not too many people can say that. People talk about Charleston like it's really some thing but from what I seen doing research it really isn't much at all, very over hyped and pretty disappointing, overall a waste of space in this state, they could have made it some thing good but it's just a wanna be, it wants to be some thing good but just aint there yet.
WHAT in the seventh realm of hell?!?!?!?!?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 PM

73 posts, read 129,421 times
I'm in my mid-20s (female, though) and I've lived in Charleston for 3 years now. I grew up in the NYC area, and have lived in a few places since then, both bigger cities and small towns. I have to be honest - I'm bored in Charleston. The social scene really isn't that great if you don't have a wonderful group of friends. I've also found that people are not really inviting to new-comers here. Granted, that's a generalization of my experience, and I'm sure not everyone is like that. I've never been enthralled with the downtown area, as it seems to be primarily dominated by College of Charleston students. Mass transit is more or less non-existent, which makes going out moderately difficult for those of us who refuse to drink and drive and can't find a willing DD.

I'm sure you could find a way to be bored in any city if you don't take advantage of what the city has to offer, but I feel like Charleston just has less to offer. As I said, I've lived in a bunch of places, but Charleston is the only area I haven't liked. I will be moving in the spring.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM

37 posts, read 71,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by den2charleston View Post
Hey! I'm currently a single guy in my mid-20s looking for a new city on the East Coast. I'm living in Denver now and I've become very interested in Charleston. I'm getting sick of the snow and cold in Denver, and because I don't ski or snowboard, I don't exactly fit in with the crowd, especially in the winter time. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Denver, it's just that I grew up in Pennsylvania and I'm not entirely enticed by the half-hipster/half-outdoorsy, free-range, organic, solar-powered Subaru culture of Denver. I do like the fact that Denver always has something going on, however, and that it can become hard to become bored here. I'm a very social person and it's never been hard to make friends in a new area.

That being said, I just visited Charleston this past weekend for a job interview. I got offered the job and I have a week to decide. I like the job and it's right downtown at the Flagship (at the corner of Calhoun and Alexander). Friday night, I went out with the team I'd be working with along King Street. That was fun. Saturday, I checked out the Farmer's Market and walked along King Street to the waterfront. Later in the day, I went to Folly Beach. My experience was really enjoyable and I've got to say the most astonishing thing I noticed so far was how beautiful the city was and how nice people are. The other thing that really made an impact (and not a good one) was how unbearably humid it was. On Friday, I was practically drenched walking a few blocks. Granted, a few people told me it was unseasonably humid that day.

My biggest questions/concerns with Charleston are these:

After living there for a few years, do you find it boring? In other words, did you find that it was getting too small for you after a while? I love the beach and really enjoy going out with friends to bars every weekend, and I feel Charleston offers that, but I couldn't help but notice that it's definitely small compared to a place like Denver.

Was it easy to meet people (consider that I want to meet people 20-30 years old)?

My potential coworkers strongly suggested I live downtown to really enjoy it. Do you agree?

And last, but not least, did you ever get used to that humidity?!?
Looks like you've made your decision but thought I would chime in. Anyways I lived in Charleston for about 2.5 years pretty much straight out of college..I went to college in sc as well so I had a good amount of friends who were from the charleston area or moved there after graduation. I would say I got bored with Charleston after about a 1.5 years. For me there weren't a variety of things to do that interested me. I think this is key when living in any city long term you need things that interest you specifically and people to enjoy those interest with. The thing that kept me there for another year was that I knew a good amount of people. Charleston is definitely a good place to vacation, I plan on visiting next year. You definitely want to try to live downtown. Females are good looking..enjoy the college girls while you can...not a ton of young professionals like bigger cities. Downtown bar/club scene is pretty fun most friday and saturday nights. Beach is fun during the summer time.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar602 View Post
I'm in my mid-20s (female, though) and I've lived in Charleston for 3 years now. I grew up in the NYC area, and have lived in a few places since then, both bigger cities and small towns. I have to be honest - I'm bored in Charleston. The social scene really isn't that great if you don't have a wonderful group of friends. I've also found that people are not really inviting to new-comers here. Granted, that's a generalization of my experience, and I'm sure not everyone is like that. I've never been enthralled with the downtown area, as it seems to be primarily dominated by College of Charleston students. Mass transit is more or less non-existent, which makes going out moderately difficult for those of us who refuse to drink and drive and can't find a willing DD.

I'm sure you could find a way to be bored in any city if you don't take advantage of what the city has to offer, but I feel like Charleston just has less to offer. As I said, I've lived in a bunch of places, but Charleston is the only area I haven't liked. I will be moving in the spring.
I hate to hear that you'll be moving and that you didn't have a good experience. Then again, I guess coming from NYC, it's really hard to compare living there to living somewhere like Charleston.

I'm in a ladies group of 20somethings, we're kinda nerdy but we're fun (the group originated on Reddit). Almost everyone in it is a newcomer to the area, or at least we've only been here a couple years. Besides that, I've made a lot of friends through running and also going to group fitness classes at my gym (the same people tend to go to the same classes so you get on a schedule and keep seeing them).

Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Out of all of the people I have met, none have found it boring. Several of them have been from the NYC area. I'm not sure what planet you guys are from but I think you're drinking from the wrong fountain.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
You are right it doesn't, very bland....granted people in their 70s may love Charleston. However I can't imagine anyone young and fun wanting to move to such a bland and boring place, nothing to hold my interest there, husband said it looked dreadful and after doing research I have to agree about Charleston being dreadful, not sure what people see in such a place. I'd much rather be doing one of the 1,000 of things myrtle beach has to offer. So much to do here I don't even need to leave my own city, i can vacation here...pretty cool, not too many people can say that.
I'll be 67 next month and can verify that once you pass 40, you become increasingly boring and bland. No one over 60 has any fun whatsoever, and our only activities are shopping for medical supplies, going to the doctor, telling the same old stories about the good old days over and over again, and waiting for the Early Bird Special at the local buffet.

That's why us old people like Charleston. We don't need those 1,000 things to do, since miniature golf is bad for our backs, being around hundreds of guys who look like Larry the Cable Guy gives us hives, and eating mediocre seafood gives us gas.

:grin:

Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM

154 posts, read 244,257 times
Seems like you can do most anything that you could do in other cities in Charleston plus have access to the beach and a above average downtown area.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:02 PM

74 posts, read 121,556 times
So how is Charleston for an Army Veteran? I'm still only 22 but been in the Army for 3 years and now getting out on medical. Is it hard to find a job down there? I love the simple life, I don't need all the crazy fancy things to have fun. I know its a really old town as well and I love that about it there. Plus you got the beaches close by too so that would be perfect to just go and relax on a weekend. I am going to go to school for IT just haven't decided what field yet. How is the cost of living there? I heard taxes can get pretty high and same as utilities, is that true?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
Yes, it does get boring, as there is nothing to do with Kids, other than Jump castle places ~ BOring!
You seem to be the Debbie Downer for Charleston. You also won't recommend carriage rides at night for the #1 tourist destination in the US because of the "supposed" crime (what crime happens in the MAIN tourist areas of downtown?!). Seems like you are trolling on the Chas threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area