Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 45,583 times

Advertisements

Hello-- I'll be down visiting the last weekend in March.
I will be staying with a friend who lives downtown. I will be in for the weekend to explore the city, different neighborhoods, in anticipation of a move in about 6 months? My friend will be working some of the days I'm down there. I have a job interview in West Ashley on Monday, and other than that am going to a conference at MUSC on Monday-Wednesday.

I will be flying in from PA and won't have a car, since my friend will be working some and need her car, I'm debating if it's worth getting a rental car for the whole 5 days I'm there (about 250), or will I be able to get around downtown pretty easily? Any public transit? Are cabs reasonably priced? If so I figure I could maybe just take a cab to my interview, or just rent a car for 2 days if there are places to pick them up downtown? A website I was looking at showed no car rental places downtown, so I wasn't sure about that. BUT, if a car is helpful for getting around and exploring I'll just get one for the whole time.

Sorry, many thoughts there but would appreciate input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
At $50 a day rental rate that you state, I'd definitely rent one. Yes, touring the peninsula on foot & trolley is very doable, but then you're not going to be able to see many of the "different neighborhoods." West Ashley itself has many neat & comfortable niches that would be better seen by car -- you'll just get to cover a whole lot more choices by driving.

Airport, or Enterprise in Mt P or West Ashley are the only car rentals I know of.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
There's an Enterprise on Meeting st a couple of blocks above the visitors center. I'd think you'd want a car for at least most of the time you're here. It would be pretty much a necessity if you intend to explore neighborhoods outside of downtown. Besides, you'll want to go to the beach at some point.

Where from in PA? I grew up outside Philly.

Oops Sorry Dianne, I didn't "recognize" you at first. I already know you're from Philly. Enjoy your visit!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
There is an Enterprise on Meeting Street. You might want to rent a car for your interview. I think you would be fine walking, taking the trolley, a cab, or taking the Carta bus around the peninsula. The trolley is free.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 45,583 times
I suppose you guys are right, I may want to see some neighborhoods outside of downtown. I think I want to live downtown but I guess I should check out some apartment complexes/ townhouses in Mt Pleasant/ West Ashley.

Thanks for the info on the Meeting St enterprise, rates are actually a lot cheaper there than the airport!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Definitely rent a car! We do have bus transportation in the city, but it doesn't go everywhere. Also, you won't want to spend half your trip waiting on a bus. That's a pretty good rate for a car rental, too. If you were *only* going to be downtown, not having a car would probably be okay but if you venture anywhere outside of downtown, you kinda need it.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
I think that Enterprise delivers.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM

326 posts, read 498,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I think that Enterprise delivers.
yes. at least they picked me up when i rented a car after an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area