Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 AM

10,104 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

I desperately need to get my hair cut and colored. I've put it off for too long. I just haven't established a place since I moved back to the area.

I want someone that knows what they are doing but doesn't necessarily charge a arm and a leg.

I want the hair color to match my skin color. I want them to suggest a good cut that will complement my face, etc. I have very curly hair. Yep, I know I'm living in the wrong area when it comes to humidity. I want someone that knows what they are doing and has the experience.

In the past (probably a couple of years ago) I tried L' Paradise in Summerville. I went to an older lady with bigger hair and liked her but can't think of her name right now. She did great but I was thinking of trying someone maybe less expensive and was wondering about Stella Nova in Summerville. Anyone been and if so can you recommend a stylist?

Is there any other place that might do a good job? I don't want to go to one of the chain 10.00 places.

How about some of the Groupon deals? Anyone bought one of those and been pleased with the stylist and results? I'm tempted to try one and wouldn't mind if I had to travel to N. Charleston. I've been hesitant to try the Groupon deals in the past thinking the stylist is fresh out of cosmetology school hence the reason for advertising on Groupon to strum up some business for herself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
I've been to 3 different people at the Stella Nova in Mt. P. They were all good (so Summerville is probably similar).

Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM

288 posts, read 494,696 times
Jenna at Stella Nova is a good stylist, but her hours are more limited if I remember right.

If your still looking at other options in the Summerville area, definitely check out Vintage Hair Studio on Old Trolley, and try and get in with Mary. She does tons of extra education and training, is probably their best colorist and stylist on staff, and you won't be disappointed. Kim or Leslie are other good options at Vintage too.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
I go to Chip at New Creations in downtown Summerville. I found him after having horrible experiences with 4 previous colorists/stylists.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM

288 posts, read 494,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
I go to Chip at New Creations in downtown Summerville. I found him after having horrible experiences with 4 previous colorists/stylists.
What other places have you tried in Summerville, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
They were not all in Summerville, and I don't want to bad-mouth any businesses on here.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM

10,104 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM

50 posts, read 93,366 times
I go to Nola's Salon in Summerville and have always had wonderful luck with the color there. I usually go red, which is a hard color to have look natural but they always do a wonderful job. In particular, I go to Jenna.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosc22 View Post
I go to Nola's Salon in Summerville and have always had wonderful luck with the color there. I usually go red, which is a hard color to have look natural but they always do a wonderful job. In particular, I go to Jenna.
I know what you mean

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Don't buy a groupon deal for hair! I did it and ended up getting a credit from groupon. The one I bought ended up being in this building where each stylist basically had their own salon in each room. The woman I had told me I needed a whole color correction and she wouldn't give me highlights without color correcting. The color correcting would have cost, if I remember correctly, around $300. I was so mad. I ended up getting the credit on groupon for what I paid and went to Stella Nova. I was told there that I did not need color correcting. I stayed with Stella Nova for about a year and a half until my stylists price went up to $140 for a cut and highlight. I liked her, but not enough to pay that price. I now go to a salon in Mount Pleasant that is new withing the past couple years and they do a great job. I only pay $60 for a cut and highlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area