Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM

63 posts, read 151,388 times

Advertisements

Hello, again ;-). I have been asking so many questions lately and I really, really appreciate all the responses and help I've been receiving on here!! My family is considering a house in Rivertowne on the Wando (for water access) or a house in Park West (for a more family feel). I've been doing a lot of research and read on here about the redistricting coming in 2015 which would affect my 4th grader. I've had my mind set on Pinckney and Cario since we talked about moving to the area so I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around Laing Middle School instead of Cario.

Of course, I know all schools in Mt. Pleasant are good, but I'm wondering what the positive and negative affects are going to be. And what parents in those affected areas feel about it... I also know Laing will be a brand new state of the art school, but will most of his new friends be staying at Cario forcing him to make all new friends again? Thanks for humoring me ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Actually, I just saw that Rivertowne is also redistricted to Jennie Moore. It said 2015... Does that mean 2015-2016 school year? That means if we moved this summer, my 2nd grader would be at Pinckney for 3rd grade but Jennie a Moore for 4th.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM

66 posts, read 91,281 times
I have those worries as well! I have a 4th grader at Pinckney and the only 4th graders he knows (other than his classmates) are the ones that are in the partner teacher's class. (The teachers pair up to teach different subjects). At LH, there are 14 K classes. Even staying in the same neighborhood, both my kids could have entirely new classmates next year and it would probably feel like having to make new friends all over. But I'm looking forward to smaller class sizes.

We are not ready to buy yet but having lived in PW for the past year, we know this is the area we'd want to stay permanently. I have friends in Rivertowne and they feel the same way about their neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,995,509 times
I have four children all of school age, they have been in several schools due to a divorce and the ex moving out of state. They have all adjusted to their new schools (twice now). I think that kids will be shy at first, but mine have opened up when I focused on the positives like getting them involved with sports, etc, they are enjoying their lives just as they did here in Charleston. The school doesn't matter to me as much as keeping them involved and sociable. Both Park West and Rivertowne are full of active families and I'm sure both choices would be very good choices for your family.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Redistricting is something that happens in any growing community. Your whole neighbourhood will move with your child so it isn't like they are being plucked out and dropped into a total strange environment. I am a big believer that the parent sets the tone for the child.....in most cases.

My son went to Laing and I was delighted we moved into an area that was zoned for Laing. Cario is a HUGE school....Laing is much smaller and the staff is amazing. The music program isn't as sophisticated...but it didn't take long for my son to catch up with the Cario kids.

Schools in Mt. Pleasant -- wherever area shouldn't cause stress. If you think a neighbourhood has what you are looking for as a family, that's what counts

We live south of IOP and are into our third year at Wando High School. One down side besides the distance, has been that my son's friends tend to be in Dunes West, Rivertowne, Park West. Means we have had to do a bit of driving.Now I wouldn't change it for the world because the four years at high school fly by and he will be gone before you know it and I like being closer to the action (beach and downtown, etc.)....but that may be an issue for some with a young family.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the responses! I think my biggest concern will be that my 8 year old son, who went to one school for kindergarten, then another school for 1st and 2nd grade and then another school for 3rd (Pinckney) then another school for 4th (Jennie Moore) then middle school 2 years later. He's pretty outgoing, so I just don't know if I'm overthinking it. Then, my shyer 4th grader will make a whole (hopefully) bunch of friends at Pinckney for 5th grade and then will go to Laing where only the kids from our neighborhood will be going as well and everyone else goes on to Cario.

Obviously, as a parent, we want to help our kids and do what we can to set them up for success, but we also need to weigh in how much we want to live in Rivertowne vs Park West. Both are great neighborhoods, so I know we can be happy in either.

Moneill, that is also one of my concerns - that most of the kids friends will live down that way, closer to Laing that they meet at school and then we are on the furthest most tip of the school district zone - making us further away from future friends that don't live in our neighborhood.

If my estimation is correct, Laing isn't going to be a small school anymore since they will be getting a bunch more kids and that only helps alleviate some of the overcrowding at Cario, making that a better situation?

lilkttns - how do your friends in Rivertowne feel about the redistricting? Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: