Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 6,514 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm looking to relocate to SC from the Philly suburbs in the next month or so and I hear Charleston is a cool place to live for younger people (late 20s) that's also affordable. I am wondering what areas I should look into for living arrangements, preferably a small town home or condo. I would like to be around an area where I'm not surrounded by retirees, basically a nice area near the beach with low crime rate but still close to downtown bars, clubs etc..

I hear West Ashley and James Island are good places for younger people looking to rent, any input would be appreciated. Also for anyone who has moved from the Northeast to SC, how was the adjustment once you got down there? I'm planning a little vacation just to check it out, any suggestions on where to stay and what to do on the weekends would be excellent. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,825,030 times
I'm in your demo. The places you mentioned fit what you're looking at, along with the inner parts of Mt Pleasant. If you get too far out in any direction you get into boring suburbia, but really that's the same basically everywhere.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 PM

82 posts, read 120,062 times
Would be helpful to know your budget and how many beds/baths you're looking for. As far as area, James Island is excellent for someone in their late 20s. I also like Johns Island too - some really pretty townhomes and condos and you are about 15 minutes from Kiawah beach, about 20 from Folly Beach (depending on traffic of course!) and about 15 minutes from downtown.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:01 PM

3,873 posts, read 4,629,882 times
Where from outside of Phlly? I grew up in Springfield, PA.... the SW suburbs.

I live on James Island now and I'll echo AJ's question; what exactly are you looking for and what kind of budget do you have?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,430,911 times
If you can afford it.. clearly downtown... puts you in the middle of everything you've said you wanted... baring that ... close in Mt Pleasant,,, or the Avondale section of West Ashley .... both have there own nitelife and are close to downtown as well

Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarrett View Post
Would be helpful to know your budget and how many beds/baths you're looking for. As far as area, James Island is excellent for someone in their late 20s. I also like Johns Island too - some really pretty townhomes and condos and you are about 15 minutes from Kiawah beach, about 20 from Folly Beach (depending on traffic of course!) and about 15 minutes from downtown.
Well, I'm just one person but I plan on having ppl visit regularly so I'd like to find a 2br place in the low $1000s. From what everyone says, James Island seems to be the place, I'll be down there in the next couple of weeks to see for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Where from outside of Phlly? I grew up in Springfield, PA.... the SW suburbs.

I live on James Island now and I'll echo AJ's question; what exactly are you looking for and what kind of budget do you have?
Small world LocalHero, I've been in and around Delco all my life. I've most recently moved up the Main Line to Chester County but looking to relocate South where Winter isn't such a drag. I'm looking for a small house in the $1000 - $1500 range with at least 2br, kinda sick of the whole apartment thing although a top floor condo would be nice. Any ideas on where to stay when I come down to visit?

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

82 posts, read 120,062 times
Yeah, check out James Island, sounds like a good fit. And DEFINITELY expect lots of visits from family and friends!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd018 View Post
Well, I'm just one person but I plan on having ppl visit regularly so I'd like to find a 2br place in the low $1000s. From what everyone says, James Island seems to be the place, I'll be down there in the next couple of weeks to see for myself

Small world LocalHero, I've been in and around Delco all my life. I've most recently moved up the Main Line to Chester County but looking to relocate South where Winter isn't such a drag. I'm looking for a small house in the $1000 - $1500 range with at least 2br, kinda sick of the whole apartment thing although a top floor condo would be nice. Any ideas on where to stay when I come down to visit?
You should be able to find a single family house for $1500 or less on James Island. Look on Craigslist and ask about any address you want to know about.

The most fun would be to stay on Folly if you can afford it but it might be hard to find a rental if you're going to be coming down in the beach season. You might check on VRBO.com. Also, check Airbnb.com for short term rentals on James Island.

I haven't been back to Philly area for years. My immediate family has all moved south a long time ago.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Look on Craigslist and ask about any address you want to know about.
How about Camp rd. between Folly and Fort Johnson rd?

It's about 6mi from Folly Beach, that's close!
Moderator cut: links removed, please wait with links until you have at least 10 posts.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd018 View Post
How about Camp rd. between Folly and Fort Johnson rd?

It's about 6mi from Folly Beach, that's close!
Moderator cut: links removed, please wait with links until you have at least 10 posts.
Most of that area off of camp is ok. It's a bit run down between Dills Bluff and Ft Johnson and Encampment court are pretty low-end places. Camp Rd itself is pretty busy.

It's quick to Folly as long as there isn't traffic. It's worst on major holidays of course but if you go early in the day you'll miss the traffic on any days.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area