Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM

42 posts, read 82,562 times

Advertisements

I'm a numbers guy, and I own my own financial business, so this should be fairly straight forward. But it's been somewhat of a challenge.

We are relocating from Indiana to somewhere south. I want it to be Charleston, but Florida is winning out because state income tax considerations are playing a significant role in my evaluation of options.

We are a considerably high earning family. 7% is a lot of money right off the top. This is basic economics.

So I understand the gist of the argument....Florida will hit me with higher property taxes. But it's property by property, house by house. And yes, if I don't want to pay a tremendous amount for that waterfront Florida gem, I can find another home with lower assessment value. So I have some control over my Florida property tax exposure.

Is there something I am missing that can somehow even this playing field to justify 7% right off the top? My understanding is SC schools are generally considered poor, so many go private, "which is one reason the low property taxes help". Well, that may be true, but 7% plus private school negates the low property taxes.

We love Charleston, but I need to make the math work when Florida and Texas put a lot more money in my pocket to spend as I see fit.

Appreciate your thoughts,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,670,173 times
If you are in the highest marginal tax rate category, yes it's 7%.

However... South Carolina has more generous deductions than any other southeastern states (3,650 = personal income exemption)
Standard deduction (single): 5,700
Standard deduction (Joint): 11,400

44% deduction is allowed from net Capital gains
Social security income is exempt

We and other southeastern states do not tax Social Security Benefits, and we exempt disability retirement income from personal income taxes

South Carolina allows 36 personal
income tax credits. The most
substantial are the non-resident
credit, accounting for 61% of all
credits, followed by the two-wage
earner credit (22%) and the child
care credit (9%). The value of
personal income tax credits has
been steadily increasing since

Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks CHS.

Let's use a hypothetical $100,000 gross income. Let's call it $7,000 state income tax (I know it's stepped up, let's keep it simple).

You're saying SC allows a $11,400 deduction for joint filers, bringing it down to $88,600 AGI?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,670,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh22 View Post
Thanks CHS.

Let's use a hypothetical $100,000 gross income. Let's call it $7,000 state income tax (I know it's stepped up, let's keep it simple).

You're saying SC allows a $11,400 deduction for joint filers, bringing it down to $88,600 AGI?
That is correct...Generous state Like you said, it's not subject to tax and that can be used to reduce a taxpayer's adjusted gross income

Last edited by Chs2014; 07-07-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Great number crunching....here's my view.

Municipalities and states have expenses....schools, roads, police, fire, etc. You have to get the money from some place. If you have high property taxes and low states taxes or if you have low property taxes and high state taxes......you probably will end up in the same boat. At one time Florida could rely on tourist revenue to subsidize local expenses but not so sure that tourism taxes on hotels, etc. are enough to cover infrastructure costs locally or state wide.

It's important to look at all the living expenses and from what they have posted above -- while state tax rates may be higher, deductions, etc. may be higher as well.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Yes, I understand the theory, I'm just struggling to get anywhere near the equilibrium. It's a teachable moment to see it in practice. There's a reason Texas is booming, and it isn't because it's a beautiful state with palm trees, coast line, and culture.

It's cheap, abundant labor, explosive business growth, and favorable business regulation.

It should cause zero wonder among the learned class why 0% income tax states are growing in leaps and bounds.

As your income goes up, those deductions in SC mean less and less, and the 7% means a lot more than the marginal increase in property taxes in Florida.

Ultimately it comes down to a personal choice of being willing to pay more, as I just don't see how it's financially feasible to equate the two at a high income level.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,613 times
TX gets you with the school and house tax. It is very high. Make sure to take a look.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,358,136 times
Sample Charleston Co Property Tax Calculation sheet: http://www.charlestoncounty.org/depa...alculation.pdf

You can get a primary residence deduction and if over 65 a homestead reduction.
Cut Your Property Taxes! - Auditor

Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
TX gets you with the school and house tax. It is very high. Make sure to take a look.
They get you some place. Nothing is free......

Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Hmmm -- the boom in Texas may be less about no state tax and more about the oil.....but.....

If you need convincing to move some place and have a choice -- go to the place that will take the least convincing......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area