Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 28,971 times

Advertisements

FL is income tax free, but it is going to get you in so many other ways. No one has discussed home owners insurance. Add $2-7k per year, maybe much higher. This is a fee happy state as well. Fees aren't taxes are they? WTF is synonymous with Welcome To Florida. Yes it all depends on the house you buy and where it is located, but I think you are a $400 k house buyer or perhaps more. Coastal? In a flood zone? I am 1.5 miles from the gulf not in a flood zone in the 400 k house we pay over 10k in prop tax and insurance. Add in all the fees and you will find FL is not the bargain offset by no income tax. You will need a permit to have a garage sale when you decide to leave the Sunshine State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM

40 posts, read 81,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh22 View Post
We love Charleston, but I need to make the math work when Florida and Texas put a lot more money in my pocket to spend as I see fit.

Appreciate your thoughts,
we were in the same position as you, able to telecommute so looked at FL, TX b/c of no state income tax, and SC b/c of lower property taxes and coastal insurance

-FL has a lot of Transient home owners so there's no sense of community/neighborhood, we toured around FL for a total of 4 weeks last year on two separate trips and found this a recurring theme.
they have slightly above property taxes compared to the US but insurance is Steep anywhere within a few miles from the coast for new buyers...then we looked more inland at Orlando/Windermere and Sinkholes were prevalent and insurance companies are hesitant to write on homes within 2 miles of any previous sinkholes, not to mention high electricity bills($300/month, AC costs from May-Oct, and pool heating costs in the winter) and the transient neighbor phenomenon again(from snowbirds to international owners as their 2nd home) so scared us away.
FL schools are poor performers also, where most good students go private.

-TX has the best schools out of the three states but outrageous property taxes, we looked at several homes in the Austin metro area and 400k homes had property taxes over $10k/annually so you cringe every time your house value increases, then add in the high electricity costs, ouch...TX is booming mainly b/c of job growth, Businesses are relocating there b/c of it's favorable tax environment. if Austin isn't already the 2nd Silicon valley, it will soon be. Great city, schools, food, and music culture, just couldn't justify the prop.taxes and too land-locked for us with no mountains nor nice beaches.

-Charleston just had a nice combination of everything, lower property taxes and closer to family in the mid-atlantic...if you need good schools, look at Mt.Pleasant b/c of beach proximity also, if you don't care for the beach, Summerville area is nice.
what we didn't like about SC is the annual vehicle property tax but its somewhat offset by the maximum $300 you'll pay on sales tax.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpindc View Post
we were in the same position as you, able to telecommute so looked at FL, TX b/c of no state income tax, and SC b/c of lower property taxes and coastal insurance

-FL has a lot of Transient home owners so there's no sense of community/neighborhood, we toured around FL for a total of 4 weeks last year on two separate trips and found this a recurring theme.
they have slightly above property taxes compared to the US but insurance is Steep anywhere within a few miles from the coast for new buyers...then we looked more inland at Orlando/Windermere and Sinkholes were prevalent and insurance companies are hesitant to write on homes within 2 miles of any previous sinkholes, not to mention high electricity bills($300/month, AC costs from May-Oct, and pool heating costs in the winter) and the transient neighbor phenomenon again(from snowbirds to international owners as their 2nd home) so scared us away.

-TX has the best schools out of the three states but outrageous property taxes, we looked at several homes in the Austin metro area and 400k homes had property taxes over $10k/annually so you cringe every time your house value increases, then add in the high electricity costs, ouch...TX is booming mainly b/c of job growth, Businesses are relocating there b/c of it's favorable tax environment. if Austin isn't already the 2nd Silicon valley, it will soon be. Great city, schools, food, and music culture, just couldn't justify the prop.taxes and too land-locked for us with no mountains nor nice beaches.

-Charleston just had a nice combination of everything, lower property taxes and closer to family in the mid-atlantic...if you need good schools, look at Mt.Pleasant b/c of beach proximity also, if you don't care for the beach, Summerville area is nice.
what we didn't like about SC is the annual vehicle property tax but its somewhat offset by the maximum $300 you'll pay on sales tax.

Good luck!
Good Summation! Don't skip James Island which is just as close to the beach as Mt P and also has some highly rated schools. It's generally less expensive than Mt P.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:10 PM

275 posts, read 431,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh22 View Post
I'm a numbers guy, and I own my own financial business, so this should be fairly straight forward. But it's been somewhat of a challenge.

We are relocating from Indiana to somewhere south. I want it to be Charleston, but Florida is winning out because state income tax considerations are playing a significant role in my evaluation of options.

We are a considerably high earning family. 7% is a lot of money right off the top. This is basic economics.
Another ding in SC is the property tax on cars. It's expensive. My 8yr old Nissan Murano I'm paying $250 per year on it. A new car can be upwards to a $900. And this is each year and that hurts. It goes down as the value of the car depreciates but it's another tax. I moved from NJ based on the property taxes being much cheaper but I did not realize how expensive the state and car taxes were going to be.

SC also has county taxes on top of the 6% sales tax. When I go shopping on N. Main St in Summerville it's over 8%. Lots of little things too are more expensive. For some reason labor is a lot more down here. I have someone cut my lawn and it's a smaller property and it's about 25% more, and I shopped around because I was stunned at some of the rates I got. Home insurance was also more, but car insurance was a tad cheaper. Cable bill is also higher, NJ was $175, here it's $250 with less channels. Even the yearly termite contract was more down here. Businesses pay the lion's share of the school tax so it's passed on to the customer with higher rates.

Do the math and see if it works. I'm happy down here but it's not the big bargain I thought it would be.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpindc View Post

Good luck!

Keep in mind there's a big difference in your flood insurance in MtP depending on your zone. When we were looking in Hamlin Plantation, I think it was like $5-7K/yr, we ended up in Dunes West were it's about $1500 (I think, would have to look it up).
Also, you do pay personal property tax on cars, boats, etc (which really sucks).

Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Keep in mind there's a big difference in your flood insurance in MtP depending on your zone. When we were looking in Hamlin Plantation, I think it was like $5-7K/yr, we ended up in Dunes West were it's about $1500 (I think, would have to look it up).
Also, you do pay personal property tax on cars, boats, etc (which really sucks).
And of course there are some locations that don't require flood insurance at all.

What would the annual taxes be on a $20,000 vehicle?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,619 times
SC has one of the lowest overall tax burdens of the Southeastern states, including FL.

I can't help but wonder why the OP, a learned high income earner, is poking around on a message board asking questions meant for his CPA.....

Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM

54 posts, read 137,900 times
To respond to the OP, I also own my own financial business, and therefore I too can live anywhere. If you are a high income earner, there just isn't anything that beats no state income tax. I think you almost answered your own question in your original post, but all of these other little fees and breaks just don't add up to be enough. SC is beautiful, and I love the Charleston area, but if your income is high enough, and all other things are equal, you probably can find somewhere in Florida that you also like just about as much as Charleston. Personally, I live in NV, so that explains my avoidance of income tax as well. Now if you are willing to pay more because you love someplace, then that is a completely different story. Money is meant to help make you happy.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:30 PM

42 posts, read 82,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
SC has one of the lowest overall tax burdens of the Southeastern states, including FL.

I can't help but wonder why the OP, a learned high income earner, is poking around on a message board asking questions meant for his CPA.....
Now, now, be nice. I never stated I was "learned", and "high income" is relative.

I make enough to notice the difference, is all.

My CPA does debits and credits, whatever those are.

"You people" live down there, and I find asking the locals is much more effective and you don't bill me by the hour to share your perspective. And I've learned quite a bit reading about the nickel & diming of the American Dream through these posts.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJohn View Post
To respond to the OP, I also own my own financial business, and therefore I too can live anywhere. If you are a high income earner, there just isn't anything that beats no state income tax. I think you almost answered your own question in your original post, but all of these other little fees and breaks just don't add up to be enough. SC is beautiful, and I love the Charleston area, but if your income is high enough, and all other things are equal, you probably can find somewhere in Florida that you also like just about as much as Charleston. Personally, I live in NV, so that explains my avoidance of income tax as well. Now if you are willing to pay more because you love someplace, then that is a completely different story. Money is meant to help make you happy.

If I had to live in FL, I'd strongly consider the NE part of the state, around Jax, St. Augustine, etc. Option 2 would be around Tampa, someplace with water access for the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area