Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times

Advertisements

Between Social Security, a small pension, and even smaller income from investments, I'll pull in $49K/year when I semi-retire in a few years, in addition to whatever I make from a part-time web design business and life coaching practice (I hope to pull in another $10K or more, but I'm not counting on it for my planning). I don't own a home, and at this point (I'm 67) I will probably rent a 1BR apartment for the rest of my life. My current rent is $1100/month but I'm earning $74K/year in IT.

I don't live a lavish lifestyle, but I like a vacation now and then, and to be able to go to a movie or a restaurant from time to time without straining my budget. I would want to live in a safe community. My impression from this forum (which frequently has posts of the "I only have $500,000 for a house" type) is that the Charleston area would be too rich for my blood. Is that the case? Anyone out there retired or semi retired and living happy on roughly $50K per year? Or, anyone regretting moving to the Charleston area on that kind of retirement income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
The further you get away from downtown Charleston and the coast, the cheaper rent will be. Plenty of retired folks without any debt are living well with $50K a year income. The key is no debt.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Yes you can live here on 50k a year ... clearly not lavishly ...but well enuf... if theres no particular interest in what Charleston has to offer ... the midlands and upstate are less expensive.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
I do not want to retire here... I've already thought about this a lot. I don't want to have to mess with hurricane evacuations when I'm retired and it's also too touristy and expensive. I'm not a beach person, so somewhere like Greenville is where I would retire if I am even in South Carolina at that point.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM

We retired to Charleston (Mount Pleasant) in 2000. Relocated the Columbia (Lexington) in 2010 for family reasons. I do miss Charleston but had to do what one has to do.

The Greenville area is lovely. A bit to remote, to far right, to religious, and can get to cold for my tastes but still a great area.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM

155 posts, read 248,769 times
I have question (maybe unusual and stupid, but I live in europe).
Are $49,000/year still to be taxed, or you mean netto for you?
And in case the amount is to be taxed, what could be a reasonable percentage?
Thanks for helping me understand

Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
I have question (maybe unusual and stupid, but I live in europe).
Are $49,000/year still to be taxed, or you mean netto for you?
And in case the amount is to be taxed, what could be a reasonable percentage?
Thanks for helping me understand
Basically the way US Federal Taxes work is one has a Gross Income which is income from all sources. Say $30K from one source, $10K from another source and another $10K from another source. That is $50K Gross Income. These income sources get adjusted/reduced to differing amounts for differing reasons (to complicated and varying to explain). The income left over is called Adjusted Gross Income. Let us say $30K. This Adjusted Gross Income might also get further reduced (deductions for various reasons) to say $20K which is ones final Taxable Income. The $20K is actually the income taxed.

Trying to keep it relatively simple.

I assume the OP was talking Gross Income as when most say their income is such and such, they mean their Gross Income.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Yes, I did mean Gross Income. Since I'm currently having 17% of my income put away in my 401k, my gross available income is effectively $61K so unless I'm thinking this through incorrectly, I'd only need an additional $12K per year income to duplicate my current standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area