Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,032,107 times

Advertisements

Shortly before moving here I was diagnosed with some pretty serious health issues.

Fortunately, I am on the road to health, but a consequence of this all is that my diet from here on in is severely restricted.

Couldn't have come at a worse time, with all this wonderful food around.... We don't eat out a whole lot, but I don't want to give it up entirely. It's just harder now and takes some planning.

I look at menus online before we go anywhere to make sure I can eat something there, but it would be helpful if anyone can give some guidance on some restaurants to check out in MP that might be an easier "fit".

Basically looking for places that don't use a lot of sauces, fat, butter, and offer a few pretty simple "clean" dishes - grilled, broiled or pan-fried fish (can't have real fried food) and veggies or chicken and veggies and restaurants that might be accommodating to simple changes - i.e, more veggies instead of potatoes, not using salt on the meat/fish, etc..

Oftentimes I'll just have a salad with chicken or salmon, but it's nice to be able to have a nice piece of fish and some veggies once in a while.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,297,412 times
Burton's is very accommodating to various diets

Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM

859 posts, read 1,367,693 times
Mustard Seed, Coleman Blvd
Mosiac - corner of 17 and IOP connector, where Los Arcos is
Long Point Grille - Good salads and salmon dishes
Carabba's - has some simple grilled chicken and veg entrees
Tokyo Bistro - in the old Walmart shopping center on 17, by PetSmart - has some wonderful Asian dishes with lots of fresh veggies, always cooked well - you can get your choice of chicken, beef or shrimp
Vickery's has some killer salads
Sesame Burger - on frontage road at Shellmore - you can get a 'burger in a bowl' with a turkey burger

Eta - Be sure to go to the Boone Hall Farms store for some of their awesome produce in season now to make your own goodies.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,603,464 times
Definitely try Burtons. It is in Town Centre next to PF Changs. Burtons is a from scratch restaurant and will accommodate any restrictions. I have a friend that seems to be allergic to everything. She eats at Burtons several times a month because they can make her what she wants without everything she is allergic to.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:17 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,123,269 times
And if in doubt call ahead. A restaurant like Coda del Pesce might be able to create something for you within your guide lines. Red Drum might also be accommodating. Restaurants are so use to food allergies and restrictions these days that many are quite accommodating.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:20 AM

Thank you. Appreciate everyone's help.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 PM

No, I have health issues. I have diabetes. My life depends on my eating right.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,676,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
No, I have health issues. I have diabetes. My life depends on my eating right.
If you are a type 2 diabetic (sorry to get personal here), I would focus more on exercising (cardio at least 30- 45 minutes most days, OR at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week). It leads to improved glycemic control due to increased responsiveness to insulin.

I would search the Paleo Diet, it works wonders for diabetics!

*I'm a medical professional*

Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 AM

Hi Chs2014. Thanks for the info.

When I was diagnosed, it scared the daylights out of me, so yes, I am doing cardio at least 30 min, 7 days a week, doing weight-bearing exercise 3x/week, and have changed my diet substantially - almost Paleo, not quite - and lost 41 pounds since Oct. I was not obese by any means, but carrying a lot of extra weight. I am now at my near normal weight of 110, and because of these changes am able to control the type 2 with lifestyle changes only, no meds, but maintain a tightly carb controlled, low GI diet with constant monitoring. Most all my carbs are from fruits/veggies. I no longer eat bread, rice, potato, pasta or any dairy, and only seared/grilled/roasted "naked" fish and chicken. I don't eat anything that comes from a bag, box, or can.

I don't mind talking about it, in fact more people should realize how prevalent it's become and know that it could happen to them. When people meet me and I tell them, they are shocked, especially people know have known me. I am thin, a "young" 50s and look healthy. I was the last person I thought it would happen to . I was a relatively "healthy" person, who ate the usual American diet of processed foods most weeknights, and pizza and sandwiches and chips on weekends, with the occasional fried fish sandwich - maybe 1x/month. I didn't snack, didn't eat "junk" food, but also didn't exercise, due to a demanding job where I worked 12 hours most days and was running a business on the side. Bottom line, I didn't make taking care of myself a priority, and now will suffer the consequences for the rest of my life.

I find it extraordinarily hard to eat out, something that we like to do as a treat once a month. Not knowing what's in what I'm eating or what the carb count is, makes it precarious. It's especially hard here where there's a lot of food cooked in bacon fat, fried, in sauces, with butter, salt, sweet marinades, etc. Yummy, but seriously off limits.

I often think if a restaurant had a small section on their menu like some do for kids, for Carb Limited diets and listed the carb count, they'd win a lot of business from people in my situation who more often than not choose not to eat out because they'd rather be safe. There are a lot of us out there. Type 2 diabetes has become an epidemic in this country, and there are a lot of people who have it or are on the verge with pre-diabetes, and don't know it because they've never had an HbA1c test done by their doctor. Every one of us should have that test as part of an annual physical. I had no family history, no warning signs - my blood glucose was normal in every physical. Unfortunately diabetes is "silent" until it's done a lot of damage. It damages every organ in your body and greatly increases your risk of heart attack and stroke.

If nothing else comes of me talking about it, I hope that I make people aware.

Thanks again for the info.

Keep the restaurant ideas coming please. We would love to be able to eat out more - safely. We eat out so seldom that we're OK paying more for restaurants that will make accommodations and cook "naked"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area