Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 29,744 times

Advertisements

I know the locals and frequent visitors get tired of these questions, but it is one of the best ways I've learned about other areas! So plz, if you'd be kind enough to take the time...I know it's a common thread.

Relocated from Southern Cali to Nc then Fl. Seems we fit in best in SoCal being vegetarian, earth concerned, free religion, etc. Although we are not 'hippies' per say, we do like that kind of vibe. However, with 2 elementary school age children, as much as we want to surround them w/ similar folks w/ similar values, schools and safe neighborhoods are first and foremost.

Husband- self employed, I am a very experienced Rn. Rent would be 1200-1800/mo for 3 b/r. I'd like to choose an area first, then look at the medical facilities nearby. I'd love a walkable neighborhood- at least to a few cafes or coffee shops, playgrounds, etc. We also enjoy planned communities, since again, pools, schools, stores etc are often w/in walking distance. We love eating out, doing outdoor activities, etc. One of our favorite things in NC was a co-op market where people met every w/end to sit, enjoy music, shop the local produce.

Please name any areas, even very specific neighborhoods that I can then look on sites for housing, etc. Are there any more 'artsy' or 'hippie' kind of areas in Charleston?

thx so much in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Avondale, Park circle, Summerville (near its main st), James Island (Near Harbor view elementary) would be my opinion.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM

184 posts, read 216,250 times
Are there any more 'artsy' or 'hippie' kind of areas in Charleston?

schools and safe neighborhoods are first and foremost.

I had a good time juxtaposing some of the terms you mentioned, such as "artsy" and "safe", "hippie" and "schools".

A lot of folks like the suburbs around town for their relatively safe qualities and for schools, but I would generally not describe them on the whole as hippie or artsy. Yeah, the occasional independent boutique or coffee shop, but i would hesitate to say there is a 1970's Haight Ashbury scene anywhere in Charleston. There is a lot of independent-minded, creative energy downtown. It is also walkable. Safety and schools can be difficult to manage anywhere, so definitely do your homework.

Some of the burbs around Charleston have some flavor and character though. CHS2014 mentioned a few. I also like areas around Coleman Boulevard and Old Village, but it is difficult to find housing there in this market.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM

23 posts, read 29,744 times
thx to both of you. Everyone knows SoCal is $$$ but we used to constantly enjoy time in a place called Encinitas, which seemed to be hippies galore, cool book stores, vegan cafes, etc. Yet- was one of the most expensive areas, so we always ended up in the burbs in some planned little community (which you can make a wonderful family home).

Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Why Charleston?

I would look at securing employment first. While we have many medical options for employment, we also have a steady stream of people wanting those jobs. I say that not to imply you couldn't find employment, only that the pay may not be what you were expecting due to the labor market here.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
What about Asheville, NC? That strikes me as more "vegan, hippie, artsy" than Charleston does.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Being from the original hippy generation, I'd recommend a scouting trip here. I don't believe the Low Country has much of anything in common with southern Cal, and also can't think of any area that's "hippy" in nature, especially any of the planned communities. I think you'll find that in general, the planned communities around here tend to be quite the opposite.
If you stick to the older neighborhoods you're more likely to find what's closer to what you're looking for, but I'd still not consider them to be within the full scope of what you're seeking based upon your description.

So again, I'd suggest a visit. Drive around, spend some time, and talk to people.
I think this is a great place to live, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily suited to everyone.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Avondale in West Ashley or the Riverland Terrace area of James Island would be my pics. Both are older charming neighborhoods, not planned communities and they might have limited amenities for the kids. The elementary school for Riverland Terrace is undergoing a change to be a public Montessori School. The Montessori program is already ongoing, but the school building is being renovated and the school won't be housed back there until January 2016. (if all goes as planned)

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM

34 posts, read 33,995 times
I would tend to agree with LocalHero. I get this vibe from West Ashley or Shem Creek/Old Mt Pleasant area however the latter is very pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area