Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 4,816 times

Advertisements

I am an artist from Boston and looking to relocate to the Charleston area. Are there any artist out there that can give me their perspective on how the area is for artist? Are there studios around? I know there are plenty of galleries but do they support the local artist? Are there monthly open galleries/studio?
Also since I am a city girl and don't know if I can afford a home on the peninsular, what other area would anyone recommend. Im looking for a city type of vibe. Walk to stores, lots to do, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heya2k View Post
I am an artist from Boston and looking to relocate to the Charleston area. Are there any artist out there that can give me their perspective on how the area is for artist? Are there studios around? I know there are plenty of galleries but do they support the local artist? Are there monthly open galleries/studio?
Also since I am a city girl and don't know if I can afford a home on the peninsular, what other area would anyone recommend. Im looking for a city type of vibe. Walk to stores, lots to do, etc.
There is an Art Walk on the first Friday of every month. Page 1

Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 AM

259 posts, read 454,285 times
I would say there's a lot of support for the high end art market here.

Meaning those that specialize in painting egrets in marshes and the Battery.

Abstract or more out of the norm work is still seen as oddly niche and these orgs run on shoestring budgets.
Redux focuses on this and you can apply for space but its tough to get in.

Tivoli is another alt mix used hybrid that has shows too.

Outside of downtown, avondale,windermere, byrnes downs or park circle are best bets for walkable neighbourhoods, but all will seem really small to you if coming from a big city.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,817 times
yes, my father is a wonderful local artist and a great resource for you is to join the Charleston Artists Guild, $35/year and they do a wonderful job getting your work displayed in banks, Starbucks, galleries, shows, etc etc. and there are a lot of art shows and contests going on all the time!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:25 PM

678 posts, read 800,143 times
The Columbia art scene is pretty decent, surprisingly enough, so when you are down again you may want to visit us as well. Come on a "first Thursday" and tour the different studios on main st or visit vista studios. It's also much less expensive to live downtown and walk everywhere. In fact, I live above an art center (the Tapps art center) in the heart of downtown and only pay $1,000/mo living by myself. I simply bring this up because you say you want a city vibe and live where you can walk everywhere and that can be tough to do on an artist budget in downtown charleston. I will admit you can't beat the charleston charm though.

Last edited by Bouje2; 05-30-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
I would say there's a lot of support for the high end art market here.

Meaning those that specialize in painting egrets in marshes and the Battery.
Mary Whyte is an outstanding local artist that does high end work that doesn't specialize in Egrets or the Battery.

About Mary Whyte | Watercolor Artist | Charleston, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area