Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM

21 posts, read 25,898 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at Charleston homes and neighborhoods online and are traveling down in a few weeks to check out Mt. Pleasant for a possible summer 2016 move. Here are some things we are looking for in a home, if anyone else has additional neighborhood suggestions! When we started looking a few months ago, we were advised to look near Dunes West, Park West, Longpoint, Rivertowne, Belle Hall, and Longpoint.

• Budget - $650k (would consider going to $700k for "dream home")
  • Single family home with 4-5 bedrooms - preferably with at least a half acre yard
  • Nice view (water, marsh, tidal creek, etc...)
  • Family friendly neighborhood with kids, community pool, playground, and within 10-15 minutes of Wando High School
  • Not a golfing family, so near a golf course is fine but not necessary
  • Commute to work isn't a big factor, but need to be close to upper Daniel Island for daughter's sport practices in the evenings - within 20 minutes (not sure if it's better to go via 526 or 41 during rush hour?)
  • Fixer upper or a "dated" home would be fine, willing to put in some work to make it our own, more concerned with lot acreage/view and fun neighborhood for the kids than a gourmet kitchen
Thank you for all your helpful information! I've learned a lot about Mt. Pleasant and surrounding areas by reading this board!

LTB

Last edited by EC-LTB; 06-03-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM

515 posts, read 482,483 times
I would add Carolina Park to the list. Might be harder to get an over .5 acre lot, but plenty of 1/3 acre + in Riverside. Many lots are on ponds. Water view lots over 1/2 acre are going to be out of your price range in general. Carolina Park is FULL of kids, has a pool, and walking distance to Wando. It's all new construction so you'd have plenty of time to meet your timeline.

Also check out Darrell Creek. There are some water view lots, older homes but some may be in your range.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 PM

Thank you! I'll put Carolina Park on the list too. Several Darrell Creek homes have come up in my search, but I wasn't sure if it's family friendly. I realize we won't be right on the water at under $700k, and the view doesn't have to necessarily be "water," just looking for a nice spot to sit on my back porch and drink a cup of coffee or glass of wine without looking directly into my neighbor's backyard or a road!

Old 06-03-2015, 01:54 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Yea lot size on newer construction is going to come at a premium. I'm guessing in MtP in the areas your looking at a 3500-4000 sq foot home on 1/3 an acre is going to be in the $550-600k range without adding ponds, marshes, or creeks.

Local Hero would probably know more, I just know what's been sold around us in Park West.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:31 PM

184 posts, read 216,250 times
There are currently 13 listings in Mt. Pleasant for properties under 700 that are 1/2 acre or larger. 11 are under 650.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM

I've seen a few nice properties in Alston Point - anyone familiar with that neighborhood?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post
Thank you! I'll put Carolina Park on the list too. Several Darrell Creek homes have come up in my search, but I wasn't sure if it's family friendly. I realize we won't be right on the water at under $700k, and the view doesn't have to necessarily be "water," just looking for a nice spot to sit on my back porch and drink a cup of coffee or glass of wine without looking directly into my neighbor's backyard or a road!
The Riverside section of Carolina Park will be semi-custom to custom homes with prices ranging in the 500's to 900's. There are several builders committed to building in Riverside including: Saussy Burbank, Cline, Sabal, The Burton Co, Structures, and Jackson Built Homes. I've also heard that Front Door will be building in there as well as they are already building in other areas of Carolina Park. They have a good lot size (around .5) and ever lot in Riverside has privacy either backing up to wetlands or woods.

Also, I would mention Back Bay Village, Brickyard, Snee Farm and Hobcaw Plantation (One of my favs). Although not in Mt. Pleasant, close by I would look at Daniel Island and Beresford Creek as well (29492 zip code)

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 06-03-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I say Park West is a good selection. My problem with Carolina Park is they will be building out for years to come thus resales can be a problem. Quite often resales will have to be equal or less then new still being offered. If all appreciated then fine. If not, selling at a loss or break even is quite common. Granted I love a new, never been lived in home.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 PM

515 posts, read 482,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I say Park West is a good selection. My problem with Carolina Park is they will be building out for years to come thus resales can be a problem. Quite often resales will have to be equal or less then new still being offered. If all appreciated then fine. If not, selling at a loss or break even is quite common. Granted I love a new, never been lived in home.
I know of a few resales in CP for way over original price. Including someone who closed, then had to move to another city, so they put the house on the market and sold it for 40K more than they paid. Not bad.

So seems like resales are keeping pace with new prices (which are skyrocketing).

Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-LTB View Post
I've seen a few nice properties in Alston Point - anyone familiar with that neighborhood?
Alston Point is right there beside Darrell Creek behind Wando HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: