Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 PM

86 posts, read 206,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be visiting Charleston with a friend in mid-July. I have never been before, and am excited to see the city as I've heard it's beautiful. I'm very into history, and have a couple of questions about historic sites in Charleston.

I'd like to visit a plantation while in Charleston (I'm from up North, so I don't get a chance often). I wouldn't mind driving outside of the city for a day in order to visit a plantation. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? I've found some online, but I'd like to hear from locals as to which one would be best to visit. It doesn't have to be touristy, but I would like to see a slave plantation.

Also, I'm very interested in colonial and Revolutionary history. I know Charleston is better know for its Civil War history, but what are the best colonial/revolutionary sites in the city? Old buildings, old churches, neat museums would all be of interest to me.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 56,906 times
South Carolina - History, Genealogy

Check this site out. Has some good info. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Hello,

I will be visiting Charleston with a friend in mid-July. I have never been before, and am excited to see the city as I've heard it's beautiful. I'm very into history, and have a couple of questions about historic sites in Charleston.

I'd like to visit a plantation while in Charleston (I'm from up North, so I don't get a chance often). I wouldn't mind driving outside of the city for a day in order to visit a plantation. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? I've found some online, but I'd like to hear from locals as to which one would be best to visit. It doesn't have to be touristy, but I would like to see a slave plantation.

Also, I'm very interested in colonial and Revolutionary history. I know Charleston is better know for its Civil War history, but what are the best colonial/revolutionary sites in the city? Old buildings, old churches, neat museums would all be of interest to me.

I appreciate everyone's help.
History will be all around you ... the best place to start is at the visitors center ... youll get tons of info there...

There are 3 plantations right next to each other in West Ashley off rte 61... Magnolia, Drayton and Middleton... each gives you a different experience ... but Middleton would give you the broadest.. since its a working farm ... sort of...and will take you most of a day to see it all.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 AM

199 posts, read 257,910 times
For plantations, the most popular would probably be Middleton, Boone, and Drayton. Any of those three are worth seeing especially if you have never toured a plantation before.

Since you've never been to Charleston before a historical walking tour or carriage tour would be a good start. You'll get to see a lot of the more popular historical homes and sites in a relatively short amount of time. Regardless if you believe in ghosts or not a ghost tour is pretty fun and again you'll get to hear some cool stories and hear some interesting history.

Fort Sumter is probably the most famous historical site in the area. I know you said Colonial/Revolutionary history is what you are most interested in but the fort is worth seeing in my opinion. It is a nice ferry ride out to the fort and once you get out there you can either take a guided tour with one of the park rangers or explore the fort on your own.

Charleston is a pretty awesome city. Y'all will really enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
[quote=cynic1;40104098]History will be all around you ... the best place to start is at the visitors center ... youll get tons of info there...

What they said^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-21-2015, 04:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,927 times
I am not sure how you are getting here or which direction you are coming from but we visited the Cowpens National Battlefield and enjoyed it:

Cowpens National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service)

It's about halfway between Charlotte NC and Greenville SC.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:37 PM

86 posts, read 206,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
I am not sure how you are getting here or which direction you are coming from but we visited the Cowpens National Battlefield and enjoyed it:

Cowpens National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service)

It's about halfway between Charlotte NC and Greenville SC.
I would love to see Cowpens, but I'm flying down so I don't think I'm going to be able to get out there, unfortunately.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:12 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I would love to see Cowpens, but I'm flying down so I don't think I'm going to be able to get out there, unfortunately.
Don't judge us by the state of the airport...

Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 AM

142 posts, read 164,126 times
The Charleston Museum is the oldest museum in the US. There is a permanent exhibit covering the Revolutionary War years and this is a great downtown location to get yourself pointed in the right direction.

Charleston Museum

You can get a Carriage Tour of the Holy City from this general area too. Be sure and ask plenty of questions to the Carriage driver......those folks know their local History.

I've always enjoyed Middleton Place along the Ashley River. The Middleton family was prominent in Revolutionary times -- Henry was an early president of the First Continental Congress and his son Arthur was a signer of the Declaration.
I believe your paid admission to the Plantation may also get you an admission to the Edmondston-Alston House Museum in downtown Charleston.

I would like to recommend a book to you before you get here. See if your local library has "Charleston, Charleston -- The History of a Southern City" The early chapters are all about our town, from it's humble beginnings as a small outpost in 1670 to one of the 4 main cities in the Revolution.

http://www.amazon.com/Charleston-The.../dp/0872497976

Enjoy your stay in Our Fair City !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area