Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times

Advertisements

This may be somewhere else, but I thought it worthy of it's own thread. Buying shrimp directly from the person that caught them is the best.

Shem Creek fisherman had a small victory this week. The Town of Mt. Pleasant has approved a new Saturday morning fish market.

On Tuesday Town Council voted to establish a fish market at the current Farmers Market location at Moultrie Middle School on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Shem Creek shrimper Tommy Edwards says he welcomes the new market. Tommy sells all his catch directly from his boat, but he says a Saturday fish market would give him or his wife the opportunity to not only sell shrimp to more customers but to encourage people to shop direct from his boat during the week

Town of Mt. Pleasant approves new Saturday morning fish market | Eat | Charleston City Paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM

657 posts, read 739,277 times
Why were fisherman not allowed to sell their catch straight from their boats anyway?

I didn't read the article, but sounds cool.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:05 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Thank you for posting this. The Edwards are lovely people.
This is a VICTORY for the fishermen!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
An alternative view (not necessarily mine)

Letters to the Editor - Moultrie News

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,213,681 times
I just hope its helps and its not just too late.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post

Well, that's interesting. If I go to the market and bypass Mount Pleasant Seafood, that's bad? I have a message for you Mr. Rial, I'll be bypassing MtP Seafood for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 PM

882 posts, read 1,464,833 times
Quote:

Understandable nonsense from someone protecting his profits, except I don't remember Trader Joe's bitching about the Farmer's Market.

Sell good/fresh product at competitive prices rather than average product at high prices because you are taking advantage of the lack of competition ... or get Ubered.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Last summer we went to the docks for fish and shrimp. Then all of a sudden they popped up on the corner of the old parking lot and so went there instead. I think I have been to Mt. Pleasant Seafood twice. I don't find their stuff any fresher than some of the local grocery stores that carry local fish...and just as expensive if not more. I don't find them really to be that nice either. So we don't go......

We joined the Abundance Seafood Fish CSA. Should be getting some fresh fish soon. .......won't need the Saturday market. I'll be heading to Abundance anyways so probably will pick up my shrimp next door.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 AM

657 posts, read 739,277 times
Quote:

I'll give him the argument that public dollars are helping a private business, but crying that shrimpers sold their own shrimp on the side of the road is laughable. Why should they have to be in the marketplace where they sell it even less to a grocer who will then add 50% margins on top of that. It's like the beer industry, with it's 3 tiered distribution. Beer would probably be cheaper if they weren't forced to pay a distributor and did it themselves.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
Abundance Seafood Fish CSA tell me more....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area