Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM

480 posts, read 504,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
it is great that the gentrification process continues on the Peninsula.
The people being displaced are not as excited about it as you. I would be mindful saying something like that if you move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 AM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
The people being displaced are not as excited about it as you. I would be mindful saying something like that if you move here.
Very much appreciate your point, but for better or worse, progress, good or bad, waits for no one. Compassionate growth, if there really is such a thing, is a worthwhile goal. Still, adapt or die seems to be the way of the world back to our murky origins...

Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
lars --
Pay particular attention to the Flood Zone South of Broad. There are some magnificent Homes in that area, but a Full Moon High Tide and a wind out of the East causes problems for some streets.
Actually the flooding south of Broad is not as bad as it used to be. It seems that the city's efforts to control water run off focused on the SOB area first (no surprise) and while that doesn't affect FEMA flood zones, it did seem to make a huge improvement on those streets. As far as FEMA is concerned, almost all of SOB is in a flood zone and the outer edges are in a VE flood zone which is especially bad flood insurance-wise.

Flooding is still bad at the Broad and Lockwood intersection. I'm not sure what else flooded during the Sept super high flood tide or the Oct "1,000 year rain" but I don't think it was too bad in the SOB area.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:29 AM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Actually the flooding south of Broad is not as bad as it used to be. It seems that the city's efforts to control water run off focused on the SOB area first (no surprise) and while that doesn't affect FEMA flood zones, it did seem to make a huge improvement on those streets. As far as FEMA is concerned, almost all of SOB is in a flood zone and the outer edges are in a VE flood zone which is especially bad flood insurance-wise.

Flooding is still bad at the Broad and Lockwood intersection. I'm not sure what else flooded during the Sept super high flood tide or the Oct "1,000 year rain" but I don't think it was too bad in the SOB area.
Clearly local knowledge is key on this issue. My distinct impression is this can be a street to street issue.

Case in point, one of the folks we chatted with are on Water St near the Battery. He was telling me how they've had some issues. Not the least of which was trucks/ SUVs driving thru flooded street causing wakes that hit his house!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
In my experience the worst flooding tends to occur down the center of the peninsula slightly to the west. Coming & Wentworth can be brutal. Beaufain around Kirkland lane, Barre street, Morris Street from Coming to Rutledge and a couple of areas north of the crosstown spring to mind.

I actually think Old Village Mt Pleasant is going to outperform the upper west side of the Peninsula.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 AM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Quote:
Very much appreciate your point, but for better or worse, progress, good or bad, waits for no one. Compassionate growth, if there really is such a thing, is a worthwhile goal. Still, adapt or die seems to be the way of the world back to our murky origins...
I agree, too much money involved to stop it.
Just saying, it's a touchy subject here. You being a rich white yankee from CT will only make it worse...

It's a great place to live. Only downside is the traffic (getting progressively worse) and the bugs.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I agree, too much money involved to stop it.
Just saying, it's a touchy subject here. You being a rich white yankee from CT will only make it worse...
This.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Quote:
Clearly local knowledge is key on this issue. My distinct impression is this can be a street to street issue.

Case in point, one of the folks we chatted with are on Water St near the Battery. He was telling me how they've had some issues. Not the least of which was trucks/ SUVs driving thru flooded street causing wakes that hit his house!
Ah yes, Water St... that street actually was a creek long ago and is probably the most vulnerable spot SOB. You're right, it is a street to street issue more often than not. I had a long term construction client on Atlantic St (one street over) and she never had flooding that I know of.

If you look at Water St on Google street maps, you'll see that for water to hit some of those houses it merely has to go over a low curb and across a sidewalk. It doesn't take that much water when a truck is passing by for that to happen. Other areas in Charleston, I've seen cars floating when a passing truck creates a wake. I don't think that kind of flooding happens SOB very much if ever anymore.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Here's a crowd sourced map that shows where you typically see flooding during a moon tide and heavy rainfall. You want to avoid street flooding, these are the areas to avoid.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...11Xc8qQlc_6Hac

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 PM

204 posts, read 184,772 times
Quote:
Very much appreciate your point, but for better or worse, progress, good or bad, waits for no one.
When it comes to gentrification, "progress" is an Orwellian word. The only way to understand it is that progress really means whatever a rich person desires/thinks/feels at any given moment. It's a way of twisting a nice-sounding word into something that celebrates the replacement of people whose families may have lived in Charleston for decades with a person who's spent an afternoon walking around and talking with dog owners.

Last edited by Chas4Life; 05-05-2016 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area