Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

Looking for ideas for a short road trip from Mount Pleasant for one day next weekend as an alternative to spending the day in Charleston.

Have been to Beaufort, which we love. Would either Pawley's Island or Edisto be worth the drive?

Looking for a place with a few things around - little shops, places to eat, nice beaches/scenery etc.

Taking into account it will be a Saturday that we travel, and would prefer @ 1hr each way from MP as we can't be away more than 4 hours due to the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
I am not sure either. Pawley's Island is Myrtle Beach tourist traffic hell and Edisto has unfortunately turned into NASCAR Beer Beach.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM

312 posts, read 516,051 times
Wow. I've not found the traffic bad on Pawleys Island. I have lived in Mt Pleasant and now live in Murrells Inlet. My son goes to school on Pawleys Island. I love the south strand. The Hammock Shops Village might be a cute place to walk around. I like to take people who visit there.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:03 PM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Wow. I've not found the traffic bad on Pawleys Island. I have lived in Mt Pleasant and now live in Murrells Inlet. My son goes to school on Pawleys Island. I love the south strand. The Hammock Shops Village might be a cute place to walk around. I like to take people who visit there.
I am probably unfairly and negatively casting aspersions on Pawley's Island based on my travels through it on 17. I am sure it has more to offer.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 PM

482 posts, read 844,986 times
I would vote Pawley's between the two. Not really a fan of either.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:23 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
I would vote Pawley's too. I love the Hammock shops, very neat little shopping area with a restaurant or two. It's right on 17.

We drove around the island itself once, if I can remember there are some neat little historic places and houses.

I haven't been to Edisto in ages, but remember there weren't a lot of shops. Ate at a nice little seafood restaurant right on the beach, though.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Pawleys. No doubt.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 PM

312 posts, read 516,051 times
If you could spend a little more time, Huntington Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens aren't far from Pawleys. If you like your short trip, come back and see those areas. I love the south strand. ��

Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Kingping, what don't you like about Pawley's/Edisto?

We've been to Huntington Beach State Park - went when we were in Beaufort. We've also been to Georgetown in case anyone recommends that. And Kiawah.

I don't want to spend the day driving and be disappointed - it's my birthday. Just looking for something different to do.

If we could spend a little more time, would Hilton Head/Bluffton be worth seeing? Or is Hilton Head just a collection of resort communities? I hear there really isn't a "town" there.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 AM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
This is an excellent question Macalan. Especially for those of us with a pet that we need to get back to. (and the dog walker is not always an option). Since Charleston has so much to do, we have found that other local places come in a distant second. And Charlston being somewhat isolated, there are not a lot of places where one can go and comfortably return in several hours. For my husband's big birthday in June, we went up in the helicopter at Patriot's Point. We even got them to fly over our house, which my husband really enjoyed. Took lots of pictures and then had a nice lunch at Hominy downtown.
Looking forward to seeing some new ideas for local trips. Have a happy birthday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area