Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,318 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are just stating to investigate relocating to the Charleston area. My husband has had a successful contracting business in Ohio for 25 years. He has excellent references, and does outstanding work. I was hoping that there might be someone here with an idea of the job outlook for reputable established companies hiring experienced residential carpenters / contractors. Perhaps lead contractor or manager in the Charleston area.
We are thinking in 1.5 to 2 years, and will have a child entering high school. I am sort of looking at Mt. Pleasant if that would be affordable to us as a place to live.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Flowerlou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM

52 posts, read 58,632 times
Very similar type of work for me as well, in the HVAC field though. Based on our trip down recently, from what I saw your husband should have no issues finding work. There is new construction and expansion everywhere. Looks like the future will expand out from awendaw, and Summerville areas, so no end in sight. Be prepared, when you go down and see the area, you will be miserable until the day you can move down! It's that nice! We're planning to move down mid to late summer this year.
Mount pleasant is gorgeous though. It actually exceeded our expectations.
I don't know much about Ohio, but we're leaving Ct(an economically dying state) to go down there where it is booming is going to be a nice change. We're ending our families successful HVAC business here, to start over in a much better economy, so hopefully it works.

As far as building, etc goes I'm sure some of the locals will chime in, the members here are very helpful and informative, it's a huge life altering decision, so it helps hearing from the people that live there now!

Good luck!

Last edited by BenderB; 04-07-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
As mentioned above, there's really no end in sight for construction and expansion. Everywhere you look there are buildings being erected and everyday there's like a net gain of 50 people. The Charleston area is blowing up.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
THank you BenderB and fluffypoopoo,

I wonder what the going hourly rate is for residential construction ?

So far I have heard that cost of living is higher in SC, but wages are higher as well.

Mt. Pleasant is so far where I would really like to be... not sure how affordable though....
Thanks for your input, and any locals with info. would really be appreciated!

flowerlou

Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerlou View Post
THank you BenderB and fluffypoopoo,

I wonder what the going hourly rate is for residential construction ?

So far I have heard that cost of living is higher in SC, but wages are higher as well.

Mt. Pleasant is so far where I would really like to be... not sure how affordable though....
Thanks for your input, and any locals with info. would really be appreciated!

flowerlou
Wages depend on your exact feild. Some wages are lower and some are higher. My feild for example is higher here than it was in Connecticut which is a very exspensive state

Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
If you have a HS student Mt. P is likely your best bet, Wando is possibly the best general public HS in the state, not including the local magnet/school of the arts, I'm honestly unsure why it's ranked 5th when it's got the 3rd highest English/Math scores behind said 2 schools but whatever. Though depending on where you live you may end up going to the newer HS being built which won't be finished till 2020~

Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 PM

220 posts, read 270,043 times
Be prepared Carpenters don't make a lot down here.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:03 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
I'm sure carpenters and construction managers are making more than they used to down here. Building is going so strong that contractors are having trouble finding qualified people. James Island would be another place to look as well as Hanahan and Summerville. Mt Pleasant and James Isl are both closer to the beaches though. It depends on your budget as to which will be the best fit.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 AM

220 posts, read 270,043 times
Its really a shame that even though there is a major shortage of "good construction workers" the contractors in this day and age won't pay for good help. Its not just in this area,its all over the country. I'm retired from the business and its gone downhill for awhile.People don't appreciate what these people bring to the table.Too many silly TV shows making it look easy.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 AM

52 posts, read 63,017 times
Although I don't know the exact pay, I do know that we bought in a John Weiland (now Pulte) development 3 years ago and people are ALWAYS looking for good quality workers, be in painters, plumbers, carpenters, contractors, etc.
Builders hire a lot of sub-contractors who just don't do quality work.

My advice if you move here...do the right thing and the right work - and you can charge whatever you want. I know people pay for quality workers these days. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area