Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I currently work full time as a call center supervisor for a high end clothing retailer out of northeastern PA. Lived here the majority of my adult life but after driving down to Florida for a cruise, and wanting to make the move for sometime out of the state, I'm looking into doing this soon (December?).

I know the job market is always going to be hit or miss, but is there a need for call center employees in the Charleston area? Do these type of jobs exist down there (and do they pay even half decent?)

I'm also wondering if anyone would have a good estimate of what I should expect to pay for a 1 BR in a decent neighborhood I wouldn't be afraid to live in as well as how much would be a responsible amount of money to bring with me when making the move (I almost have 5000 but I understand this is not enough). When looking online, all apartments that look half decent seem to start at 8-900, are there good looking places for 550-700 for a small one bedroom in local newspapers perhaps?

Any input would be appreciated.

PS, my mom recently made the move to Greenville from Spokane, WA and I will have the ability to spend some time with her before getting a place (if its needed).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, when I leave my manager will be giving me a great reference, I also have a Prius (I won't hesitate to drive a bit for work from my apartment) hoping this would increase the potential to find a good job.

Also, hope this post didn't come off too annoying, as I know this kind of thing gets posted fairly often but I couldn't find any recent threads that seemed to answer these questions.

Thanks again!

1. Budget- Will be dependent on what type of income I would expect to make in the area, I would hope at the worst 10.50/hr? (Although 10.50 hr is abysmal compared to what I make know, I'm afraid ill have a hard time making what I currently do due to my age)
2. House/Condo/Townhome-Apartment rental
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)-Will be on the hunt
4. Children(public school vs. private)-No children
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)-Any within 25-30 minutes of the beach
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves -No preference
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood-Safe (lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,273 times
Verizon has a call center here

Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
IHG has a call center in North Charleston. They seem to hire pretty frequently. Starting pay is right about at your minimum, but they offer a good benefits package.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:20 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times
Comcast is building a high end call center here. Should be open end of the year

Old 06-03-2016, 08:17 AM

973 posts, read 915,892 times
Seems like there are plenty of opportunities for call center work. In terms of living situation, you could consider N.Charleston or West Ashley, although N.Charleston can be a bit shady in certain areas. West Ashley is a burgeoning area and lots of things are happening. You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding 1bd/ba between 600-1000 and you'd be about 30 minutes away from several of the beaches here as well. Best thing to do is go exploring for a few days. G'luck!

Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Step 1: Have you ever been to Charleston?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Comcast is building a high end call center here. Should be open end of the year
There is also a large T Mobile 'business' call center in Charleston on Daniel Island.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,899 times
Just wondered if you made the move and how it is going. I'm planning a similar move and would love all the info I can get. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:30 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Step 1: Have you ever been to Charleston?
Step 2: are the areas of Charleston you can afford the areas you like? Because heaven knows every single brochure or job site shows the Battery, Sullivans Island and a 1 mile marsh view or $75z+ per person restaurant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area